Williamsport 1000 Yard World Open

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Williamsport 1000 Yard World Open

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave Burkart
      Participant

The Original Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Benchrest club concluded the 2014 World Open this Sunday July 13, 2014. The weather was warm, in the 80’s and the breeze did pickup as can be evidenced by the group sizes. None under Five inches this year in both LG and HG.

I shot the 6BR Savage purchased from Wynne last year and built by Britt Jones, Britt rechambered it over the winter and it is still a tack driver as evidenced by the 6.9 inch group with a 97 score I shot in HG. I was using a load of 30.8 Gr of Varget propelling a Berger 105 Hybrid .037 off the lands for a speed of around 2930 fps.

It was a great time with one of the members bringing the following guns for demonstration and allowing us to shoot them… The first gun is an Gardner Gun the gun at the bottom is an 1877 Bulldog Gatling Gun Gun chambered in 45-70 the Gardner Gun was originally in 30-40 Krag but now in 30-06. These guns are a hoot to fire, I would not want to be on the receiving end.

Dave

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Dave Burkart. Reason: Correct the pics
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Dave, thanks for sharing this information and congratulations on your success. My son suggested that I try to buy the rifle back. lol. Also looks like you boys had some interesting toys. We do not have a class for those firearms at Reese Bottom. Thanks again for sharing on the forum. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the loading info. I have registered to shoot the 1000 yard state match in Tennessee in August. Don’t think I can handle my 300wsm that many rounds so I’m going to give the Br a try. Have not tried varget in it yet but will see if it likes it better than Norma 203b.

Dave Burkart
      Participant

I only wish I was able to do that but they are ten shot matches. The targets that are shot are managed as below with someone spotting and marking shot number and location and another person watching the bank and counting off the number of rounds. I have attached what the score sheet would look like for the five shot group I uploaded the target for.

Dave

Attachments:
      1. Wynne-7-17-14-.pdf
      Dave Burkart
      Participant

Sorry for the rotated target..

Dave

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Steve,

Thirty to 31 Grains of Varget seems to be a sweet spot with the 6BR. This one loves Berger Hybrids my 6 Dasher does not. The attached photo shows the first five shots in HG from this 6BR at last years World Open. Unfortunately the other five took the group to 7″ but it was still a 97 score. This was with 31.0 Gn Varget and 105 Hybrids jumped .020. It seems the sweet spot since the barrel was rechambered is .037 jump. Best of luck at the Tennessee match, let us know how you make out.

Dave

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Dave Burkart.
      Attachments:
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Dave, you need to partition for five shot groups. Now that is impressive. If you would, explain how the targets are managed at the World Open so that you are able to know which bullets are which. Thanks for sharing from afar. WWE

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.