New Rifle

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room New Rifle

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Claunch
      Participant

Should have posted this already. Got my new FTR 308 awhile back. Looks great, been busy so I pulled it out today to tighten the scope down and tinker with it. Still need to get a good rear bag and load some ammo. I did get the Hornady OAL tool out and after nearly an hour finally found out why I kept getting inconsistent results. Evidently the throat is a little tight and I had to push the bullet a little harder than I thought to push it to the lands. Finally got it repeatable to a half thousands. Starting with Berger 200 hybrid and large rifle primers. I have Varget powder . some of you 308 FTR guys, give me a starting point with powder charge and seating depth. 30 inch barrel, 1/10 twist.

Michael Claunch
      Participant

Had to resize the photo

Attachments:
      brett collins
      Participant

hey michael good looking rifle.
      as for a starting load what free bore do you have? or what reamer was used?
      if it was the FTR reamer with a 170 FB 43GR.varget would be a good starting point with the 200gr. that gave me 2573 fps and i worked up to 44.4 @2654 fps.

Michael Claunch
      Participant

Thanks Brett
      I called Britt Jones to be sure. 2017 FTR reamer with .170 free bore, which makes sense because at first I was touching the bullet at the starting of the freebore and getting inconsistent results. Hornady OAL gage and using digital caliper with ogive tool I can now get consistant readings at 2.3315 plus or minus .0005 using several different bullets from box. I could not find the Berger 200X bullets, so I got some Berger 200 Hybrid target style.

brett collins
      Participant

MICHAEL also you should try the berger 185gr hybrid

Michael Claunch
      Participant

I do have a couple boxes of 185 hybrids. When bullets.com started going out of business, I bought 175, 185, and 200 Berger.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Michael, looking forward to watching you shoot your new rifle. Should be a fun year at Reese Bottom. Talked with the fellows at the McMillan booth today about my new XIT stock. They told me their mold had been broken for a couple of weeks but that they had it back up and going. WWE

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Was wondering when we going to get peek of the new gun. Great looking them FTR boys better step it up a notch 👍

Good looking shooter, can’t wait to see you X count >>>——> X……

Michael Claunch
      Participant

Got to shoot my rifle today. Don Lewis and I went to Reese Bottom. I shot at 300 testing loads. Smallest was 9/16 inch. Had three bullets left and shot at one of Don’s targets at 500. Probably a fluke, but I will load a few more like this and see.

Attachments:
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Michael, now that is impressive at 500 yards. We all look forward to having you join the competitions. WWE

Michael Claunch
      Participant

Second attempt at 500 yards. Went back Thursday to test a few loads at 300, saved the last three and this is the result at 500, I fired the same load as Monday. I think my rifle likes the 200’s better than the 185’s. Learning as I go, figured out I should have neck sized the new brass before loading.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.