Long Range Hunting Experiences?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Long Range Hunting Experiences?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Allen Shively
      Participant

The last several years been shooting long range deeer hunts almost exclusively. A friend is a farmer owns several thousand acres along the Potomac river in WVA. We set up and glass and shoot out to 1450 yds. Using our 1000yd bench rest rifles. Saturday we shot several deer at 900,750 and a first time hunter shot one a 600. We were using our 6.5-284’s. Our longest kill is 1258yds. We are getting very sporadic bullet performance, out of berger hunting vlds. One time they expand nicely, the next time punch a hole no expansion. Makes it hard to find the deer. Tryed some hornady a max and they seem to perform better, further out. Just was wondering if any of you guys have had much experience with long range kill and the bullet performance??? Thanks shoot straight shive

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Allen. Not many places in the south to shoot that far but I happen to own a field that goes out 850 yards from my house that is surrounded by miles of timber lands. I have shot 5 deer at 600 to 800 yards using a 300 Wsm with 190 Berger hunting Vld’s. None dropped in their tracks like the Tv shows! I recovered 4 of the 5 and was not impressed with the wounds. I have not tried in about 3 years and try to fight the desire to do so! I now set up steel targets and see if I can make 1st shot hits in various conditions. I have heard that the A max bullets still expand at the lower velocities of long range.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Allen, good to hear from you and we hope that all is well up ‘North’. Gardner sent me a picture of a nice buck that he killed last week in New York. I am a ‘has been’ hunter so I have no answers to your question. I will say one thing, I never realized that hunting was so popular up your way until I met up with you guys. Always thought that it was something that us ‘Southern Boys’ got accused of doing. I once looked for some Nosler bullets for Britt to load some hunting rounds with, but not sure how they perform. WWE

Allen Shively
      Participant

Hello Wynne,
      Yes we do really enjoy our hunting. I have been shooting long range for deer here in WVA for several years. Have a friend who own a big chicken farm and can shoot out to about 1450 yds. We have only ever made kills out to 1030 on deer using our 6.5’s. We have done some testing and can only rely on the 140 Amax for hunting. all the others seem way to stiff and wont open at all on deer past 800 or so. Going to shoot on Saturday and try our 300 wsm’s with 210 JLK’s and see how they perform out at 1450. Then will have a sight mark for the next deer season after christmas. The first rifle season is over now here in WVA. Yes dave sure is getting around doing lots of hunting. Am just about done with my 6mm dasher build will send some pics when completed. Take care all Allen

Al Barr
      Participant

I shoot my deer with a Daisy BB rifle to keep them from eating the shrubbery.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Al Barr. Reason: Spelling
      Dave Burkart
      Participant

Allen, building a Dasher, do tell. What are you building and what kind of fabulous wood are you using for the stock? We want pics….

Dave

Dave Gardner
      Participant

Al I have been hunting long range for a long time. We have had Bullets just poke holes in deer too mostly the heavier Bullets for the caliber i.e. 220 for a 30 we use a 308 Norma and shoot 180 or 190 I can tell you the nosler 185 balletic tip does a really good job. Of knocking them down in one shot. But we shoot threw the tree tops a lot and any small branch expands that 185. And a miss happens .So we have to settle for a hollow point. I do know you have to push them pretty fast also. The velocity on our Norma with 190 is about 3150. It does knock them down a lot of the time you can call and chat also about your hunts. Lol happy new year to all. And as always. Favor the middle when shooting

Allen Shively
      Participant

Dave, Cant agree more with you . We got a good many shots at deer during the last season that was over Christmas week here in WVA. And after the first day of shooting we put the 6.5’s away and brought out our 300 wsm’s. You know the one you sold me that shoots awesome!!!!!! Wow!!! what a difference we started putting down what we shot at. 210 VLD’s worked really good. We made some pretty nice shots, out to 1015 yds. on deer. My friend the landowner that shoots with us, is making a 7mm WSM up for next year. Ordered a bartlein 1 in 8 twist to shoot the new 195 berger elite hunter. With the high BC of that bullet it should be pretty good long range gun. Take care Allen

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Wynne,
      Still havent fired any dasher to form brass. We had another nasty ice storm. Gonna definitely shoot this week should be much warmer. Am sending some pics of our long range hunting set-up. The first pic is of my set-up 300 WSM and the farthest shot we attempted was 1330 yds back to the farthest trees in the pic. The other pic is of my friend Scott Combs, aand he is shooting a 6.5-284. But after that day of shooting and seeing what my 300 WSM did he is building a 7mm WSM and going to shoot berger 195 ELH with a bc of .755. By the way the longest shot on a deer was made by me at 945yds. Dropped the deer in its tracks 300 WSM berger 210 VLD’s. Could you add to the forum for me? Thanks Allen

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.