Just Wondering!!!!

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Just Wondering!!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Did any of you good shooters take anything from the mid range match this past Saturday that you would like to share. Maybe some secret info you heard that nobody else did or something that you noticed about the conditions or my technique that you would like to share. All in all, the conditions must have been relatively calm. Since the match I had one good shooter tell me that he watched the far flag and held in the top right of the 10 ring most all day and another good shooter said he watched the mirage and shot at the X all day. They both beat me because I watched the far flag angle right and my bullet tried to go left all day. ‘The Curse’ of Reese Bottom got me. Hope to hear from many of you. WWE

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Wynne,

It is truly the curse of the flags, I have a hard enough time attempting to get all 10 bullets on the paper without having to try and figure out the flags. Especially which one to use the close ones or the more distant. It seems that when I attempt holding it is usually not enough or too much. I guess this is the reason we all keep coming back to try and do better next time.

Dave

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Well Mr. Burkart, you must certainly be seeing something of interest. Your shooting sure seems to be getting very consistent. Why not tell the fellows that you won your relay high score at 1000 yards again this match. I cannot wait for the time when your name is atop the shoot-off results. Looks like you were real close this past match. Shoot ‘um small. WWE

Dennis Gray
      Participant

WELL WYNN, I FEEL LIKE I SHOT FAIRLY WELL, BUT THERE WAS A LOT OF LUCK ON MY SIDE. IT WAS ONLY THE SECOND TIME FOR ME TO SHOOT F CLASS MATCH. WISH I HAD SOME INFO I COULD SHARE, BUT I WAS SO UNCOMFORTABLE LAYING ON THE GROUND. I JUST COULD NOT GET THE GUN HIGH ENOUGH OR ME LOW ENOUGH TO SEE THROUGH THE SCOPE. I COULD NOT GET EYE RELIEF, DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROB. OR IS IT JUST ME. I WOULD SEE A LOT OF BLACK, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THERE WOULD BE THE TARGET. I WOULD TRY AND GET ON, THEN SQUEEZE IT OFF QUICK AS POSS. SO LIKE I SAID A LOT OF LUCK WAS RIDING WITH ME SATURDAY. I SPOKE WITH GUNNY, AND TOLD ME SOMETHING TO TRY. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. (LOL) NO REALLY HE DID TELL ME COUPLE OF THINGS, BUT IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS (PLEASE HELP!!!!) THANKS & HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL SOON.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Dennis, On the .223, I have a very high set of scope rings. I also have seen, do not own, F-Class rest feet that would appear to give the front rest more height. As for the firing line, I have tried to achieve a gentle slope up to a flat area for the rest. Might allow for a little relocating of the rest. Surely someone else has a comment on this. WWE

Dennis Gray
      Participant

WYNNE, I GREATLY APPRECIATE BEING ABLE TO COME TO REESE BOTTOM AND SHOOT. YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE & A GREAT PLACE TO COME SHOOT. I THINK EVERYTHING YOU HAVE THERE IS GREAT, AND I AM JEALOUS I DONT HAVE IT HERE IN MY BACK YARD. I KNOW ITS THE SHOOTER. I KNOW I JUST NEED TO FIND A POSITION I CAN GET IN, MAYBE BUILD SOME KIND OF BLOCK FOR MY REAR BAG TO GET IT UP SOME MORE I THINK THAT WILL HELP. ALSO PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Dennis, I think practice is definitely the answer, but I also do think that you have got to correct that comfort thing first. Please, some of you guys tell us a good way to create a stable, comfortable, prone set up. WWE

Barry Holcomb
      Participant

If you’re shooting a front rest I would recommend the spike feet and not the ones from sinclair. As far as a rear bag goes I like the protektor and edgewood. Edgewood is expensive but they are very well made. Protecktor is not cheap but less than the edgewood and you can buy them already filled with heavy sand. Most of the time you can call them and order custom height. I have seen plenty of folks that glue a piece of wood under the bag to raise it up. Do whatever makes you comfortable. There is one fellow I know of that uses a pillow under his chest for support and it works great for him.

Al Barr
      Participant

I’d like to hear from Steve Gilley. He’s not as old nor as fat as I; but he does have neck problems that plague him. As we all know; Steve is an able competitor despite the neck problems.

Steve give us some insight on how you build your prone position.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Shooting the up hill angle at Reesebottom makes shooting prone for people with back and neck issues more difficult. I got a higher rear bag and sometimes even put a board under it for more height off ground. I have also found that a pillow under my upper tummy to my lower chest area helps with the arched spine. My range of motion in neck is limited so I have to get higher than normal on my gun in order to get good sight picture through scope without bending my head back. It’s just tough for us old wore out shooters to get comfortable on the ground anymore!! Lol.

Al Barr
      Participant

Hmmm, my wife has some really ugly cushions on the couch. I wonder if one of those would help me in the prone position?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.