Fire Forming Dasher Brass

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Fire Forming Dasher Brass

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne,

Could you post something up about your method of fire forming Dasher brass?

Thanks

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Jim, good to hear from you and we hope that all is well. As you know, I had a 6mmBR that Britt re barreled as a dasher. He and I discussed the different methods and I read some about each method. I elected to seat the bullet long and see what happened. To begin with, Britt re chambered my old BR barrel with the dasher reamer and I used the old barrel for fire forming. I started with 100 pieces of new blue Lapua BR brass loaded with 30.1 gn of Varget. I shot all 100 pieces. The first time through, three that fired split the shoulder and were trashed and three more for some reason had a dimple on the shoulder and were trashed. Approx 15 or so did not fire{head space I think}so I knocked the bullets out with a bullet puller and started over with a few even the third time. Anyway my 100 turned to 94 pieces. The shoulder/body junction was very much rounded so I chose to fire all 94 again thru the fire forming barrel. All 94 shot with no problem but my observation was that the shoulder still had not fully properly formed but Britt changed the barrels and I shot the 94 again thru the new barrel both breaking in the barrel and working on load development. The third time seemed to really form the brass.

We also ran into another interesting situation during all of this shooting. My rifle had an un pinned Panda action and after 200 rounds of relatively quick shooting, the stock did not chip, but the finish crinkled up behind the action. With that being said, if you choose to go this route, I would highly suggest using a pinned action. Britt has since pinned the Panda. I hope this will be of help to you. Are there other options that might form the shoulder quicker, I do not know, but this has been my experience. Thanks and please plan to come shoot with us during the upcoming year. WWE

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Jim, I had another thought. The first firing I used my normal BR load, 30.1 Varget. The second firing, after the shoulder blew forward, I just guessed at 32 gn Varget. Looking back, maybe a little more powder on the second firing would have better formed the shoulder. WWE

Dave Gardner
      Participant

Jim I do fire form my cases like Wynn does,except I do have a fire form rifle. I do use varget 31 gr. with a Sierra 107 bullet seated into the lands. You will loose a couple cases from splitting, the shoulders will not be perfect but after the second firing they will be fine. There is a hydronic die to form cases. Also there is a guy on the Internet that will sell you cases already to go for a price. A good tip is to turn your necks first, but only turn down the neck about 80 per cent down the neck and this will prevent a donut from forming. That 80 percent is only a guide I suggest you try one at a time till the case looks good to you and fits the chamber. The dasher is a good choice to shoot. I have heard that Grizzley is gonna have Norma make dasher cases to be sold at grizzley but I do not see them in the system yet, maybe soon they will be available Good luck. Dave.

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Jim,

I fireform as both Dave and Wynne do. I fireform my cases using the suggestions from accurateshooter.com listed here under FireForming using a false shoulder http://www.6mmbr.com/6improvedform.html . I use 31.8 of H-4895 and with the false shoulder it blows the case fairly well, I do a second firing and the case is fully formed with a crisp shoulder at that point. I may lose one or two out of 50 cases or sometimes I don’t lose any. My understanding is Grizzly will have the Dasher bras from Norma sometime this spring. I will certainly give it a try. Best of luck, I think you will like the Dasher.

Dave

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Gentlemen. I have recently started shooting F/TR but I’m thinking about moving my wife from 6X47 Lapua to Dasher. Still thinking. Thanks for the info.

Al Barr
      Participant

“We also ran into another interesting situation during all of this shooting. My rifle had an un pinned Panda action and after 200 rounds of relatively quick shooting, the stock did not chip, but the finish crinkled up behind the action. With that being said, if you choose to go this route, I would highly suggest using a pinned action. Britt has since pinned the Panda. I hope this will be of help to you. Are there other options that might form the shoulder quicker, I do not know, but this has been my experience. Thanks and please plan to come shoot with us during the upcoming year. WWE”

Wynne, when you refer to pinning the action on the panda; are you referring to pinning the recoil lug to the action?
      Thanks, Al

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Al, the Panda is a flat bottomed action that came with no recoil lug. Britt milled a groove in the bottom and put a lug in the groove and rebedded the action. I assume the action screws can only hold so much. Seems to work fine. WWE

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.