Congratulations!!!!

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Congratulations!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I would like to publicly congratulate a forum member from the state of New York who yesterday at the 1000 yard club in PA. won his relay for score and came in third in the shoot-off in the light gun division. Way to go Dave. Dave Burkart bought my first benchrest BR and I got to shoot with him last year at The World Open. Real nice guy with a lot of personal stories to tell. I sure hope that he will read this in the next day or so and tell how he was able to shoot so well. I know that he has been working on some new loads and maybe he will share some ‘northern’ info with us southern boys. Good job Dave. WWE

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Wynne Echols.
      Dave Burkart
      Participant

Wynne,

Thanks so much for the congrats. I t is all because of you and Britt; Britt built a fabulous gun at your behest. I receive compliments on the rifle all the time. When I tell folks that it is built on a Savage action they are amazed. I have been working on trying to get my scores to be better and it seems as though I was successful this past weekend, although the groups weren’t great. I had a first shot flyer in each group, I will need to work on that. The load I used was 30.8 gr. of Varget in a Lapua case with a CCI 450 primer pushing a Berger Hybrid 105 jumped .037.

July 12 and 13 are the World open at the Original PA 1000 Club and I certainly hope I shoot well at that. I will miss not seeing you there this year Wynne.

I will keep you updated on my trials and tribulations finding a load for my Dasher.

Dave

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Dave, good to hear from you and thanks for sharing the load data. The 30.8 gn Varget seems high for these temperatures, so, I will have to ask, what was the temperature while you were shooting Saturday. During the summer months, I can remember shooting 30 to 30.1 and during testing seemed to get some bolt lift issues at 30.4 to 30.5. Thanks for sharing. WWE

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Wynne,

The temperature was in the 80’s. No problem with the bolt lift. Come the World Open in two weeks I will probably keep the ammo in a cooler just to keep the pressures down. I was running 31.0 gn of Varget last year before Britt rechambered the barrel.

Dave

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Dave, I cannot make myself believe that 15 to 20 degrees would make that much difference with the Varget so I went back and read your original response. I realized that I was jamming 105 VLD’s and you are jumping hybrids which has got to be the difference. I think I read somewhere that the two bullets are a different shape so their touch-the=land number would be different(correct me if I am wrong) but doesn’t jumping a bullet relieve the pressure until the bullet starts to compress the powder? My next question, do you know wither or not your bullet is compressing the powder in the case? Thanks, WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Congrats on last match and hoping you will do good in the World Open. I wanted to come up there and shoot the open but couldn’t find anyone willing to go that far with me. Maybe next year!

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Wynne, it is not a compressed load I can probably get at least another grain or grain without compressing the load. The difference could certainly be the fact that you are jamming VLD’s versus my jumping Hybrids.

I am working up loads in the Dasher that are VLD’s and SMK’s that are just touching the lands. It will be interesting to see how that affects the load.

Steve, work on Wynne to come back up for the Open next year. You will have a great time, just ask Wynne.

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Wynne,

I was testing some loads yesterday and had a VLD jammed .008 running charges from 30.2 to 30.8. It was also in the mid 80’s with 70%+ humidity at 30.8 I did crater a primer pretty well. I believe you are correct in the thought that the fact you are jamming the VLD’s vs my jumping the Hybrid’s allows for the difference in charge weight.

I am still hoping to fin a load for the Dasher before next week. I think I will call Britt and send him one of the barrels to be chambered as a Dasher.

Dave

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.