Windy Conditions?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Windy Conditions?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I am interested to hear what all of you good shooters that attended the match at Reese Bottom yesterday have to say about the conditions. I thought that the wind blew harder than I remember at any match in the past. It seemed to be a consistent blow rather than gusty. I dialed a minute and a half of windage at both 400 and 500 and was very pleased with how the groups centered up. I was also proud that not a single shooter lost a shot off of their target because of the wind. I hope that some of you experienced something or noticed something that you are willing to share with the rest of us. Thanks, WWE

Attachments:
      Dennis Gray
      Participant

BELIEVE IT OR NOT I DID NOT ALLOW FOR ANY WIND. I SHOT THE 6.5-06 GIBBS FOR THE FIRST TIME FRIDAY AT STEVE GILLEY’S RANGE FRIDAY BEFORE THE SHOOT. IT ALSO WAS VERY WINDY, AND WAS VERY STABLE THEN, SO SAT. WHEN I SHOT MY FIRST ROUND AT THE PLATE IT DID NOT MOVE. PRETTY MUCH SAME THING AT 500 YRDS. AT STEVES I SHOT OUT TO 600 YRDS WITH VERY LITTLE MOVEMENT. I GUESS 140 GR. BULLET AT LITTLE OVER 3200 FT. JUST DOESNT MOVE MUCH.

Dennis Gray
      Participant

HAD A GREAT TIME SAT. GUYS, GOOD TO SEE YOU ALL. HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AGAIN NEXT MONTH

Anonymous
      Inactive

I agree it was windy and my little 80 grainers flew fairly straight. I tried to shoot in the wind since that was the most constant condition. When I saw the wind die down a bit, I waited for it to come back before shooting. The .223 bullets do better than you would expect in the wind, but changing conditions will eat your lunch with them. Look at the results page. Everyone shot well in my book.

Mike Reekie
      Participant

I aimed my first shot at the 400 plate at the left edge of the plate and hit the right edge of it about two inches in, so I held about six inches outside the left of the plate and hit near the center. I decided not to change my scope settings. When record shooting began, I held on the left edge of the paper and fired each of my five shots, but, of course, I could not tell where I was hitting. Maybe some of you guys can, but I can’t. I am firing a 6 BR. If I had some feedback at that time I would have learned that I had a perfect target, 50-5x; but, when we went to our second(ten shot) target at 400 I guess I lost faith and started holding in a bit closer to the center. This resulted in most all of my shots hitting well right of the 10 ring and my score went South….lousy! The situation was better at 500, but reversed; I shot the ten shot string better than the five shot one. Go figure!! But, it was FUN, FUN, FUN. Let’s do it again.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.