Where did you come from?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Where did you come from?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Last Saturday Reese Bottom welcomed 18 good shooters(20 guns) for a fun morning of competitive shooting. The shooters came from far and wide and it got me thinking of what in the world has brought us all together. How did you get interested in long range shooting and do you give credit to an event or a person for getting you involved? WWE

Doug Pugh
      Participant

The first match that I attended got me interested in long range shooting. The two main people I would have to give credit to for being the most influential would be you Mr. Wynne and Britt. That match was your 1000 yard match in February of 2013. I brought a gun down for Britt to look at to do a little work on and a little work turned into a match 308 that my wife was ready to choke me over for spending that kind of money on a gun to shoot paper with. You and Britt talk with me about how the matches were run and y’all invited me to shoot in the next match after my rifle got finished and I’ve been hooked ever since. All the people that I have meet at Reese Bottom and become friends with have made it all worth coming back over and over again. Now I have a little girl that wants her own rifle built and that will be my next reason for staying interested in the shooting sport. Thank you all at Reese Bottom for making me feel so welcome in a sport that I truly love.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Doug, that is interesting. I got started this morning and the phone rang and I did not finish. About four years ago I was over at Mr. Campbell’s house and Britt drove up and Mr. C asked Britt if he had a target to show me that he had recently shot in B’ham. Best I remember it was a nice group shot at 520 yards. The group size was very impressive and having only hunted with a rifle, I could not believe a rifle could do that. At the time little did I know where the road would lead but I must say that the ride has been a joy. WWE

Anonymous
          Inactive

Well for me, Wynne invited me continually for 2 years to come shoot at Reese Bottom. I was always too busy with work or something. Then, Wynne was planning a trip to Pennsylvania and wanted to fire some new brass first. I think he had about 70 rounds he wanted to shoot and he asked Ad if he would come shoot them for him. It was all over from there. Ad loved it, so I had Britt build him a rifle and one for me too. The funny thing is, I built a .223 so I wouldn’t be shooting against Ad. I didn’t want to have to go home and hear my son tell his Mother how Dad out shot him. Well, all of you that know Ad, know that me out shooting him would be a rarity. I just hope he continues to grow in the sport so that he and I will have another thing to enjoy together for years to come. This is just pure clean fun and I LOVE IT….A big THANKS to Wynne for not giving up on me.

Al Barr
      Participant

Well, I’m a gunaholic, I had it beat for a number of years. Then that Thomas Webb and co-conspirator Britt Jones helped me fall off the wagon.

I got that first Jones rifle built; then Mr. Wynne and other fine folks at Reese Bottom welcomed me into the fold and I’m hooked.

Dennis Gray
      Participant

WELL GUYS FOR MYSELF, MILTON JORDAN AND I USED TO TERRORIZE A TRI COUNTY AREA RIDING AND SHOOTING ACROSS PASTURES AND FIELDS AT DEER & TURKEYS AT DISTANCES UNKNOWN BECAUSE WE DIDN’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’T WANT ANYONE AROUND THIS AREA TO BUILD THE GUN FOR ME. I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED FAST CARS AND BOATS, AND I FELT LIKE GUNS WOULD FALL IN THE SAME CATEGORY. YOU DIDN’T WANT TO RACE AGAINST THE SAME GUY THAT WAS BUILDING YOUR ENGINES. WELL YOU DO HAVE TO HAVE A GREAT GUN BUILDER, BUT I HAVE ALSO LEARNED THAT EVERY GUN IS DIFFERENT. LOAD DEVELOPMENT IS VERY, VERY CRITICAL. BRITT JONES HAS SO MANY GREAT GUNS AT THE RANGE. IF YOU THINK YOU OR ANY GUN BUILDER YOU KNOW IS GOING TO BEAT THEM, WELL U BETTER BE ON YOUR A GAME, BECAUSE ITS NOT SO EASY. I’VE HAD MY SECOND GUN BUILT. 6BR BY BILL SHEHANE IN CRAMERTON, NC. AND RECENTLY HAVE BOUGHT A GUN THAT BRITT JONES BUILT FOR GUNNY. AND FOR ALL OF THIS AMAZING FUN I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE GUYS AT CLAY HILL RANGE IN DIXON MILLS, AL. AND REESE BOTTOM IN LINDEN, AL. SPECIAL THANKS TO MILTON JORDAN AND WYNNE ECHOLS.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Dennis, some things you don’t need to tell. lol. Looks as though we had a similar upbringing. What has amazed me so far about this topic is that no one has mentioned a military related event that led to a shooting career. I will mention that I went through National Guard basic training at Fort Jackson, SC in 1971 when the military had just swapped from the M-14 to the M-16. Those double times to the rifle range were a lot easier with the much lighter M-16 than they would have been with the heavier M-14. I never cleaned a M-14, but it was sure easy to disassemble the M-16 and sloss it around in that drum filled with solvent. I think it is fair to say, that the M-16 fathered all of the AR’s that we see today. Come on guys, let us hear your story. Thanks, WWE

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.