What does it take to be competitive?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room What does it take to be competitive?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

What do you think it takes to be competitive at 500-600 yards? Is it a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA, 1/4 MOA or what. What would you guys consider an accurate or COMPETITVE rifle?

Dan a lot of shooters will tell you that it’s not all in the rifle and yes you do need a accurate rifle and ammo plus a lot of trigger time and good luck on match day on your good day shooting may be my bad day shooting,everything is not the same everyday so many things one has to master in order to shoot the same each day that’s where the trigger time comes in to play learning to shoot when conditions aren’t the same Dan set your self a goal when you reach that goal set yourself a higher goal and never give up if you do give up you will never be competitive spend all your money on bullets and powder and all your range time on practice.Dan you and your rifles are competitive just keep shooting see you at the match.

Anonymous
      Inactive

If you want to be competitive at longer ranges don’t base your rifle on groups shot at say 200 yards. Have been working up load for my 6.5×47 and at 38.0 grains of R-15 it put 5 into .70 at 200 yards and 4 0f the shots went into .306″. This is well below 1/2 Moa but when I went to 720 yards the group was still right at the 1/2 Moa but was vertical 4″ tall! I worked up to 38.6 grains and the group went to a nice little group that measured just under 2″ and had only 3/4″ of vertical. Backed up to 885 yards and shot 7 rounds into a group that was only 2″ vertical and 5″ across! I am convinced that even though you gun is shooting tiny groups at 200 yards it still needs checking at longer ranges. The load may need adjusting a little. Then all we need is trigger time at long range to learn the wind!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.