Trying to Focus a Rifle Scope!!

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Trying to Focus a Rifle Scope!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I have had different conversations with other elderly shooters that almost all express concern about not having a real clear sight picture through their rifle scope. Does this come with age or is it possible that the scope could be better focused. I think that most shooters understand magnification, to a lesser degree – parallax, but I was wondering if it were possible to squeeze some clarity out of the eye piece adjustment. I have read about this and it does not seem all that complicated, but I am not sure that I have ever experienced the correct eyepiece adjustment. Here are my questions: does a proper eyepiece adjustment have anything to do with a very sharp, clear, sight picture? Any suggestions about peeping in and out of the scope? And lastly, when you are aiming at a target at a distance, is your focus on the reticle or the target? Would love to hear from many of you that have developed the proper technique. Thanks in advance, WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, my understanding is that eyepiece focus is to give the shooter a clear sharp reticle. The parallax adjustment helps the shooter obtain a clear(er) sight picture and hopefully remove any movement of the reticle, when,and if the shooter changes the spot weld.

I think that your question about whether the shooter looks at the reticle or the target is a trick question. Given that you’re looking through an optical device, you are looking at an image, reticle and target in the same plane. Therefore the shooter should place the reticle on the target, allowing for any “hold”, where the round is intended to impact.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Al, I have tried to steer clear of trick questions. This topic stems from a conversation that I had after the match last Saturday in which a good shooter expressed concern about the sight picture that he was getting from his scope. Most scopes have the same type adjustments which would lead me to believe that there is only so much clarity to be achieved. The rifle scopes on the two rifles that I shoot are about $2500 apart in price and I honestly cannot see a significant difference in sight picture. This leads me to believe, that with my eye sight, money cannot buy a ‘high def’ sight picture.[maybe Lasix eye surgery] Therefore, this topic, in which we were wondering if it is possible to squeeze a little more clarity by an above mentioned adjustment. This good shooter also mentioned that after the next benchrest match maybe we could set up several different scopes on the benches and see if anyone can notice a significant difference. That is a definite possibility.

Al, there is learning available in these topics. I have always thought of the reticle being on this end aiming at the target on the other end. Never looked at both as being an image viewed through a device on the same plane. Thanks again for the response and I sure hope others will chime in. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

I realize open sights are totally different, but here is my two cents worth. In Police Academy, they taught us to focus on the target and just let the pistol sights be in the foreground and appear slightly blurry. You use shooting form to insure everything in lined up. With that being said, I have always used the rear focus on a scope to focus the crosshairs to my eye. I then use parallax to to focus the target and remove crosshairs movement. I then let my eye focus on the target without directly looking at the crosshairs. They are there and in focus, but I am looking at the target and to be honest, never really think about them being in the same focal plane. That’s just how I shoot and the only thing that appears to make might sight picture unclear, is the mirage, which is enhanced by higher scope magnification. To me, even the slightest mirage effects clarity. Our hunting scopes that go to 9 or 10 power don’t have the same effect. They appear clearer simply due to lower magnification. Like I said, my two cents worth.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

You know, you do not have to be around a person very long until the truth begins to come out. I had no idea that we had professionally trained good shooters competing at Reese Bottom. WWE

Attachments:
      Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, I didn’t come up with the idea about the image in the scope; my eye Dr. did.

He also told me that the best portion of one’s vision for looking through a scope is one’s “distance” vision. I would guess that if the scope shooter has corrective lenses; it is best to have lenses up to date and frames that allow for viewing the scope image from the “positions” that you shoot from.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.