Tight groups

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Tight groups

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Reekie
      Participant

Since we changed to the new system of rating results weighing MOA more heavily than score, i noticed on two occasions my score alone would have placed me 3rd or worse, but the new system placed me 2nd. Of course I like that I can’t see my hits and the plates don’t tell me enough, so I aim consistently at the same spot, often center, and try for tight group. Wish I could sight in on an actual target using a spotting scope. What do others think?

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Mr. Mike
      Let make it very clear I have very limited expertise at this I watched my 1st. Br match last year and it was at Reese bottom I shot my 1st. and only Br. Match this year also at Reese bottom and I’m clueless how other Br. Match are run. So don’t put much stock in what I say. Last year when I only came to watch I brought my spotting score it’s not a top of the line but a pretty good Vortex spotter I could not see bullet holes pass 300 yards. I’m not sure how good of a spotting scope is needed to see bullet holes 500. This year when I came to shoot I left the scope at home and relied on my 6×24 Sightron III set on 20x. I could barely make out my 6mm bullet hit at 300on plate because of the mud splat LOL. And faintly/somewhat see some of my bullet holes on the target. At 400 (no mud splat) I could very well see my plate hits but could not see target hits, 500 no problem with seeing plate hits and again could not see target hits. I’m not sure if the guys running better Scopes than me on their rifles can see target hits?
      My mistake was I did not use what info I got from the plate hit until I got to the 500yrds. (Hind sight 20/20 should have made the 2 click adjustment 300 not wait till 500). I’m saying all this because in my case the plates work better for me than paper. Like you I would like to hear opinions from the more experienced shooters and hopefully pick up a few tips.
      The main reason I posted this is because the only reason I get to come shoot is because “the committee” liked me posting on the this forum so hopefully if I keep posting and bringing desserts I can keep coming
      jrs

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I hope that this response ends up as intended so bare with me. Reese Bottom today is where it is after 4 or 5 years of trial and error. There are probably better alternatives to what we do but might require site modifications that I am not willing to do at this time. I have shot in two IBS National 1000 yard matches and both used clay birds on a dirt bank and painted plates like the ones we have. No fouler shots on targets. We are not set up for clay birds, so we are cursed to have to use the plates. The disaster at 300 yards last month was caused by wet soil under the plates but because it was the first time we had the problem, we had no solution. Maybe in the future, we could place a board or something under the plates to stop the splatter. The Brock’s Gap match in Birmingham also uses plates to do their final zeroing in. As far a seeing 6mm holes on a target at a distance through a spotting scope consistently, good luck. I personally think the shooter would have better luck using a spotting scope to see the hits on the plates. There is nothing to keep a shooter from getting someone to help them get sighted in on the plates. All we ask is that once the record fire begins, the coach must back away. If this is a problem, maybe we could also extend the sight in period. Let’s plan to work on this at the next bench rest match. If shot several times, the plates do get cluttered up to where it is hard to tell where the last shot hit. If you have ever noticed my targets, I very often have a difficult time getting my groups in the target center. I just consider it something that I need to work on and move on. The rifle out shoots the shooter. If we can take what we have and make it work better, I am open to suggestions, other wise we will keep on keeping on. WWE

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.