Thoughts on 1000 Yards

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Thoughts on 1000 Yards

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I wanted to throw this out there and see if any of you would comment. Do any of you good shooters have any experience shooting out to 1000 yards? If so, what do you think? As you know, we have recently cleared the range out to a possible 1000 yards. Still a lot of work to do, but probably achievable before the summer is out. Please respond to give me some idea if there is any interest in shooting this far. I would also like to hear from those not interested. My thinking is that any 1000 yard shooting will have to be done with the electronic targets due to the distance and the fact that we have no pits. WWE

Michael Claunch
      Participant

The electronic targets will be the way to go for 1000 yards. I would love to shoot 1000 yards.

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Mr. Wynne
      1St. let me say I have NO experience at shooting @1k 600 has been my limit.
      Back in one of my 1st post here I stated that shooting @1k was on my bucket list.
      So maybe I can check that off. Realistically 1K will push me and my equipment to the limit.
      In my case I think coming down for a 1k range day shooting paper or steel would answer a few questions . Not to see if I could be competitive @1 k but more to see If I can keep all my shots on my target and not on those of someone else! . If I can I’m all in if I can’t I will be the 1st. to say for the good of the match I need to pass
      I do have a question about the electronic targets Can these be used for both F class and Bench rest

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Richard, I talked with Adam, the Shotmarker guy, at the shot show and asked him the same question. His answer was yes it will measure group sizes, but!! He said that several match directors of sanctioned matches said that they did not trust his measurements. He admitted that his measurement could be a couple of millimeters off. I suggest that we feel our way into this but I can see us making it work or at least giving it a chance to work. Some things we know: Reese Bottom is not sanctioned, no world record will ever be recorded there, and our present method of measuring targets is not an exact science. He did assure me that the system would measure shooter 1 and shooter 2’s targets with the same accuracy. I think from what I know of our shooters the group sizes at 1000 yards might not be that similar but we will have to see. Anyway, I think that I can foresee 1000 yard shooting being at least mid to late summer. I would suggest that anyone interested visit the http://www.shotmarker.com and read more about the system. At this time I know very little. WWE

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.