The Perfect Mid Range .308 F-T-R Rifle

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room The Perfect Mid Range .308 F-T-R Rifle

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I would like to ask Santa for the perfect 600 yard F-T-R .308 rifle. Would like for this rifle to shoot 168 gn MK’s but could be talked into a different bullet. Forum members, please add one piece to the build until the rifle is complete with rest and everything needed to shoot a hole in the ‘X’ ring. Different opinions are appreciated!!! WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

I first thought I wanted a .308 for FTR. I absolutely love my .223 and it saves on powder, 23.8 grains. I haven’t got it completely dialed in, but it sure is shooting straight. I vote you shoot you .223 and be different. As far as what I’ve seen, you and I are the only ones shooting a .223 at Reese Bottom.

Doug Pugh
      Participant

Mr. Wynne I look at my own 308 to give you a place to start. I like the 26″ bartlein m40 contour barrel with a blueprinted Remington action that Britt built for me. I have not shot the 168 smk out of it only b/c it shot the 168 berger vld so well from the start. Good luck in your search for a new F-TR rifle.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne, I would for sure pick a different bullet unless you just have your heart set on Sierra’s, The 168 grn Berger Hybrid is one hell of a fine bullet and has a decent BC at .512. I would go for sure with a Custom Action right now there are a few for sale with an absolutely great buy on a Farley Black Widow unfired and never mounted in a rifle at $1,225, available NOW. This is an extremely rare find. Barrels man you know your way around there, Barlein and Kreiger both are fine barrels and they are also only two or three days away, if you order online.

All of that is the easy stuff for an F/TR rig. The two most difficult things about a build like this are The Smith who builds it, and the Bi-Pod. As to the Smith we are so lucky to have what I consider one of the best BenchRest quality Smiths in our own back yard and that is course of Britt Jones, so that part is easy as well. The Bi-Pod now there is were you really get to play. There are a few out standing Pods out there now, the Dupline is a very good pod but just a wee bit heavy and may end up taking some weight from the barrel to make weight. There also is a great Bi Pod that is seeing a lot of success, it al;so is a little heavy at 3lbs,4oz’s but gepending on the build it is one to consider it is the Rempel and built in Canada. Sinclair’s Gen III is another choice as is the Evo from Third Eye Tactical. do a little searching and you will see quite an improvement in F/TR dedicated Bi-Pods. Choosing a superior one is going to be key to your tracking and scoring.

Roland

Well I think I will have my new 308 shooting by the next F-Class match it is a Remington Action with a Broughton Barrel that looks like a cattle gate post.It should be a shooter if I do my part,but I still I got to get my bench gun up and running I still have no scope or rest for target shooting I have way to much going on to get anything done I think I’m just way to lazy.Mr Wynne I think a 308 would do what you are looking for, with the right action and barrel with the right twist in a good stock and with a good scope put together by Britt Jones will put you in the winners circle right behind me.We all know in order to be a champion we have to start at the bottom and work our way up.On the bullet selection I am looking at the 185 Berger hybrid with a BC of 569 with some range time to get it tuned with my rifle,it should be a true winner out of my 1 in 10 or my 1 in 11 twist barrel hopefully it will shoot in both rifles until then let keep shooting bug holes at 600.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.