Still Learning to shoot

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Still Learning to shoot

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

After this last F class shoot, I’m still learning to shoot. That may sound dumb, because I’m sure we are all still learning at every match, or at least I would think we should be. This sport is relatively new to me. Yes, I’ve been shooting since I was a youngster ( at deer and other animals), but never at the distances and with the quality equipment we are using now. To say I’m addicted would be an understatement. At the last match, I was shooting with a new bipod that I bought from Steve Gilley and I was a little disappointed with the scores in the first two rounds, too many 9’s. Doug and I were talking about our grip of the rifle and I decided in my last round to change my grip. I realize that every shooter and every setup requires a different approach. Maybe the grip change was needed with the new bipod because of the wider footprint, much wider than the Harris. With the Harris I had to use thumb pressure on top of the stock. In the last round of the recent f class shoot I decided to ditch the thumb pressure and see what happened. In my opinion, the conditions were worst in the last round for me, as compared to the other rounds, and I shot a 198. Did the grip make that much difference? I am incline to think so, it will take additional shooting to tell, but with that 198, it pushed me to my best f class score yet…187. I hope to improve on that with time, but I have to say, that little .223 has really impressed me. I would have never thought it would shoot that well. Looks like Britt Jones builds shooters in any caliber desired.

Dan there is no way one person will ever learn all that is needed to be a perfect shooter there is no such thing in my book.We all are learning every single time we shoot and as long as we learn something new each time we are getting closer to being better shooter.In the real world we all have seen that we do not shoot the same every day it’s good one and bad the next,but as we get better and learn better ways to apply good technique’s we will be more skillful our next trip to the range.If we are looking at being the best we can be we have got to have Top Shelf Equipment you already have what you need now all we need is range time.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have shot several prone matches over the last 4 years and I always fall apart on my last relay. On the last match I only had 9 shots left for the day and was down only 5 points. Eight of the next 9 were in the nine ring! What went wrong? I have decided that fatigue was most likely the culprit. Yes Dan I have found that most of my guns shoot tighter if I don’t put downward pressure on the stock with thumb. I think the most important thing is to hold it the same every shot and try not to force the gun onto target by applying pressure anywhere, But like you said we are all still learning.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

This is an interesting topic and a lot can be learned here. Steve, I was thinking after the Mid Range Match that I probably was unfair to your shooting with my verbal rant when I could not get out of the nine ring. Our problems both happened about the same time. I am sure that shooters are expected to be respectful of other shooters and I was not. I apologize and will do better next match. A couple of observations: fatigue could be an issue although you look very comfortable shooting; what about a dirty barrel, lot of shooting by that time, should we clean?; conditions were somewhat worse, do we focus more? Looking back, I think that I had three bullets that acted out of character(did not go where I was aiming) and I wish that I had identified those pieces of brass(will next time)(still learning) Oh well, if we were perfect shooters no one would want to shoot against us(not happening) WWE ps: does anyone know where we might find a simple list of FClass rules and expectations?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne you didn’t distract me. I was having problems with my left arm and hand beginning to shake from nerve damage and thought getting up and stretching would help but it didn’t! I have often thought about the barrel getting dirty near the end of 60+ rounds but other people seems to shoot just as good or better on last relay. Open for any advice. I would like to get a High Master Card from the NRA before I quit F-class.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.