Something Learned ??

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Something Learned ??

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Many of you know that this past Saturday I had the experience of shooting at Cool Acres with some of the best 1000 yard shooters that IBS has to offer. In the grand scheme of things, I did not fair so well. I did learn something that I am sure many of you know already, but for those interested, I would like to refresh your memory. These thoughts started about four years ago on my trips to Birmingham to shoot with the fellows at Brock’s Gap. Every time I would leave amazed at how so many of the good shooters could center their groups so close to center, ie. small groups and high scores. I would often shoot a decent group but very rarely would I have a very good score. This past Saturday, with the help of a good condition, I was able to win a light gun relay for high score and got in the ‘score shootoff’. View the 29 in the results on the attachment below. The rifle will shoot, 5 1/2 inch group, but all in the 6 and 5 ring, almost off the target. This result bugged me and got me to thinking, which is dangerous. After a couple of phone calls this morning, I am convinced that I have been wasting the sight in period. I have been guilty of doping the target instead of the condition. During the ‘shoot off’, the shooters were given a very generous 6 minutes and having shot in the relay prior to the ‘shoot off’, the rifle was pretty well zeroed for the 1000 yards. I fired a couple of foulers which hit very near the clays and sat around for the next 4 plus minutes waiting for the record fire. During this time I noticed the other shooters continuing to shoot. Needless to say, when the shoot off began the condition had changed and my zero was worthless = 29. Verdict = bring plenty of ammo, use the fouler period wisely, look for different conditions and shoot, watch point of impact, shoot in the conditions, don’t shy away from the conditions, learn the significance of the 15 second shot. Sorry, this got long, WWE

ps. Cool Acres will host the IBS 1000 yard national shoot the first weekend in September. Anyone wishing to shoot in a national event, this is about as close to home as one will come in the next few years[350 miles from Reese Bottom] and I have a place that one could practice.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Glad you made it to a shoot off. 1000 yards is a long way to shoot a small group and try to center it up! Fun trying though! It is very important to shoot sighters at the very end of the sighter time period and hopefully go right to record target without delay. I may go and try my luck in the September match. Do you have to be a member of IBS to shoot? If so then I need to join.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Steve, good to hear from you and I can assure you that you would have a good time and also shoot well. Go here; http://www.internationalbenchrest.com/ Steve something else that I was aware of but often forget to use is holding the point of aim and dialing to the point of impact. After shooting the 29 in the shoot off, the next time I went to the bench I was shooting next to a good shooter that shoots at this range often and I asked him how far it was from my clays to the right leg on his target stand. He gave me a look like, what the heck does that matter. I was sitting there trying to figure if my point of impact was 2, or 2 1/4, or 3 moa from point of aim when I think he was trying to tell me to just aim, shoot, watch impact, go back to aim point and dial her over. Anyway, still learning. WWE

Wynne Echols
          Keymaster

If any of you good shooters go to the ‘Photos’ page to see the photos from the trip to Cool Acres, there is a photo of a group of Mrs. Donna’s awards hanging on a trailer door. Look close at the top right corner and you will see a familiar pin. Reese Bottom goes everywhere. WWE

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.