School of Hard Knocks !!!

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room School of Hard Knocks !!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Lots of good chat this week. Please keep it up. Saw this type topic somewhere else and thought we could give it a try. Was wondering if any of you good shooters had ever learned something about reloading, gun handling, wind reading, hunting, fishing, etc. from the ‘school of hard knocks’ that you would not mind sharing with other good shooters so that they might not have to attend the same class to learn the same lesson. Since I have made at least two messes lately, I’ll go first. 1. While shooting foulers getting ready for record fire, turned turrets wrong way and shot small five shot group in backer post.[pay attention] 2. Bought stainless steel media tumbler, did not read instructions which apparently say to tumble for one hour. Tumbled all night and beat up the mouths to a lot of the pieces of brass which did not shoot very well.[read the directions] Probably could come up with a few more. WWE

Benjamin Mitchell
      Participant

Funny you ask this question as me and some fellow shooters learned a lesson last night. A friend ask me to load him a ladder style test with some new bullets he purchased. Before he shot hand loads he had been purchasing factory loaded ammo for his .308 (Federal 168 grain loaded with sierra BTHP). When he purchased his components for me to load he brought me some Sierra 175 grain TMK bullets. No big deal right? Well as I am loading I ask him what specific length he wanted and he said just load them the standard 2.800″. No problem, so I loaded them all. We went to the range yesterday and put some targets up at 300 and commenced to shooting. As I’m looking in the spotting scope I see bullets flying all over the place! Hitting the target beside the one he was aiming at, hitting dirt, going hay wire. We packed up our bags and collected the targets and started scratching our heads as to where we went wrong. Through some lengthy reading I found several accounts of people having the same issue. Basically there is a huge difference in the sensitivity to seating depth between the BTHP (SMK) and the TMK. Due to the TMK’s shape it has to be seated very close to the lands. TMK’s are not a good selection for a rifle that has to have the rounds loaded to SAMMI length or a limited magazine length. If your limited in the length category you may want to stick to the SMK or some other traditional non-VLD style. Hate we wasted so many rounds to find this out but I’m glad I could share my colossal waste of time so that someone here wont make the same mistake!

Al Barr
      Participant

Wow; I have screwed up so many simple reloading things, that I hardly know where to start. I had to relearn the difference between .2, .02, .002, and .0002 as it relates to sizing cases for a proper chamber fit. Trust me, it doesn’t take but a moment of confusement when adjusting a sizeing die, to make a case too short for your chamber. If one messes up the other way (too long) the case can be hard to chamber, but can be corrected by sizeing down in small increments until the case chambers just right.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes sir, I made many and all of them are self taught, earlier in the year bought a new rifle and scope got everything put together with some hand loaded ammo went to the range to sight in, sighted in pretty quick. In weeks after that while working up loads for this new gun which was grouping pretty good just all of a sudden throwing rounds all over the target, went back checking the rounds,loaded more rounds went back to the range it’s getting worse as I shoot. I leave even more disgusted, get home thinking of all kinds of possibilities , decide to change the scope with an older one and I was reinstalling the scope I bumped the base mount. It rattled!! Dumm dumm did not check the base mount that was already installed from the factory. I just always mounted my own base mount and never thought to check this one.

Al Barr
      Participant

How about messing up the primer orientation on a progressive loading machine and loading 100 rounds of pistol ammo before you notice?😡

Anonymous
      Inactive

Have you ever neck sized your brass and never bother to check to see if it would chamber in your rifle only to find out when you get to the woods or to the range and find out they will not chamber and needed to be full length resized

Al Barr
      Participant

Yep, Kenneth I’ve done that and have oversized brass by pushing the shoulder back too far and creating head space; which can create problems.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.