Replace firing pin springs?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Replace firing pin springs?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Al Barr
      Participant

I know that you reload to the highest standard. Also you have the best equipment that you can or want afford.

HOWEVER! A cheap trick that I learned the hard way ( like I learn most things ); if you start getting vertical that you can’t call when you break the shot CHANGE YOUR FIRING PIN SPING or get Britt Jones to do it for you. If you shoot a lot of rounds or matches; change it once a year. If not, at least ever two years.

Time for my nap😈

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Al, wake yourself up and come on to Reese Bottom. Good idea and not all that expensive. Have you ever experimented with different spring tensions or is there a standard? Hope to see you soon. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, part of the problem with firing springs is with the cock on opening design of most modern bolt action designs. Most of us remove the bolt to store the rifle, therefore the spring is compressed and stressed. Good quality springs will take an initial set, and then give good service over a reasonable period of time. But no I don’t experiment with heavier springs unless advised by someone more knowledgeable like Britt.

I have used better quality springs in Remington actions with positive results.

Like you pointed out; cheap insurance for a good shooting rifle? ZZZZZ

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.