Reloading Press Upgrade

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Reloading Press Upgrade

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking at upgradeing my reloading press could someone give me something to by in making sure I get what I need to do all my reloading needs from benchrest to tactical loading.The perss I have now is the old RCBS single stage with alot of wear on the main center ram and I think maybe I could get better reloads if I had a better press just thinking when seating my bullets I may be somewhat off center.

Tony Graham
      Participant

Just get you a new Rock Chucker. They are hard to beat.

Rock Chucker is what I have and it has a little slack in the center ram and looking for something better.

Tony Graham
      Participant

That’s just it. I don’t believe there is anything any better. A new one will not have slack. I use an old Rockchucker for sizing and an old RS3 for seating. Both have been taken apart, blasted and powder coated black. My loaded rounds have no measurable run out, except my .284 Shehane. I have a Whidden Shehane sizer that will not make a straight neck. I have Neil Jones making me a sizing die for the Shehane right now.
      My BR cartridges:
      .300 Atlas, (Jones FL Sizer w/ neck bushings/RCBS Micro Topped Competition Seater)
      .30×68 Thor (Jones FL Sizer w/ neck bushings /Newlon Micro Topped Seater that was reamed w/ the Chamber Reamer) Seater ID to Loaded round clearance is .002”
      6mm Odin (Jones FL Sizer w/ neck bushings /Newlon Micro Topped Seater that was reamed w/ the Chamber Reamer) Seater ID to Loaded round clearance is .002”
      6mm Dasher (Jones FL Sizer w/ neck bushings /Jones Hand Seater used with an arbor press) Seater ID to Loaded round clearance is .001”
      .284 Shehane (Whidden FL Sizer w/ neck bushings /Newlon Micro Topped Seater that was reamed w/ the Chamber Reamer) Seater ID to Loaded round clearance is .002”
      In opinion the dies are the most important, sizing die especially.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Surrell, I looked at a Forster press the other day. Pretty impressive piece of equipment, however; I too have a Rock Chucker and it seems to work fine for me. But I don’t know very much, I just like to pull the trigger……

Ron Lewis
      Participant

I’m using an old redding press

I think this is the one Ron has and I like it the most……The UltraMag is the heavy duty workhorse of the Redding line, and is a no-nonsense high quality press. It is our favorite for large jobs and highly recommend it for the reloader needing a large frame press. The leverage system on this press (unlike most others) is connected to the top of the press frame which gives it literally tons of pressure without the usual concerns of press frame deflection or misalignment. This is an expensive press, but one we feel is worth the money, especially for long magnum cartridges.This is from Brownell’s page on this Redding Press and it looks like just what I need loading 223 Rem up to 338 Lapua.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.