Reloader 15

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Reloader 15

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Richard Slaton
      Participant

With Varget sometimes getting hard to find figured I could need a plan B so after a little research and because I had some decided to give Reloader 15 a try in the 6BrX. It’s listed as a little faster than Varget so with my short barrel could be a plus. Loaded a few at a somewhat mild load and some as a somewhat hot load and headed to the range. 1st test showed promise with the milder load grouping better. So after looking the #’s over I loaded a few of the Mild load +.2 and a few of the hotter -.2 and a few of my Varget load and headed to the range. Both Reloader 15 were a little faster, both loads the SD and ES we’re lower and the milder load grouped better than the Varget load which all sounds good until you get home and run a patch down the barrel I’m talking major fouling dirty
      My ? Is do you think this could affect
      Accuracy during a F class match in which I normally shoot 75 rounds?
      What do you think
      Jrs

brett collins
      Participant

MR. RICHARD
      rl-15 may be dirty but accuracy speaks for its self. and i find varget to be dirty as well. The only problem I have with rl-15 is temperature stability in the hot summer months. you will need to develop a different load for above 80deg. other than that it’s a great powder.

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Thanks Brett for your reply. You some what answered a question that I was going to ask after I got more feed back. Which was about the summertime load. Being new to Bench rest and long range shooting I’m just finding out about this kinda stuff and if anyone would like to chime in on the subject I’m and maybe a few others are all ears. I’m not 100% lock in on R 15 being plan B it could in fact because plan A or if I find another powder it could be Plan C
      Keep those cards and letters coming
      And make this a very active web site
      Jrs

brett collins
      Participant

richard if i was out of varget and looking for a new powder my first step would be N140

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Brett Actually N140 would been been my 1st powder to try for plan B But I had/have no N140 and I had R15 SO it got tested 1st. LOL then after how well R15 shot I got caught up in the moment hopefully I can pick some N140 up and test before the 1K range day next month
      I still have some Varget but last two Range day R15 out shot it So I may need to look around not be lock in on Varget
      Jrs

Steve Gilley
      Participant

I have used a lot of R15 and love it in the cooler months..I’ve shot some of my best match scores with it. In my 6.5 x 47 I got excellent results at 38.2 grains and 130 Bergers. Shot real good at 38.7 grains but was too hot of a load in 90+F weather! Have used it in my 6Br also with good results. Have not tried it in 6Brx yet.

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Thanks Steve I was hoping you had tried in your BRX and we could compare notes. The place I normally load test is somewhat off limits during hunting season plus I don’t see any 95 degs days in the near forecast so I guess it’s a wait and see on how this plays out. Guys on Accurate shooter talk like I will need to drop about .3
      From my 60 deg. Load when it’s 95.
      In my testing as I increased my load my groups started opening up before I saw any pressure signs so I believe the. Best shooting loads are well below maximum
      Learning as I go lot to this long range stuff

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.