Practice for 1000 yd

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Practice for 1000 yd

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

How do ya’ll practice for a 800-1000 yd match. Do you go out and shoot the distance or do you get your Muzzle velocity from a chronograph and then use a ballistic calculator to get a dope to shoot that far?

Al Barr
      Participant

Velocity from chrono. Dope from ballistic program.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What is the most popular ballistic program in use?

Al Barr
      Participant

I like Shooter, but the one that you know to use is the best, if you have accurate data to input into it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Mr.Al I think that makes a lot of sense as long as your comfortable with the program most important is the accurate data you put into

Al Barr
      Participant

Yep, like most things in life; garbage in, garbage out.

That said, height of scope center above bore center is easily measured. Same with barrel twist, and length. Velocity can be measured with a chronograph (ask around, you shoot well enough and are responsible enough not to shoot the gear, I’ll bet some our local shooters will let you put some rounds through the screens).

Failing that, estimate your velocity from loading tables, run that through your ballistic calculator on your cell phone, then go go to the range EARLY in morning near first light and check actual elevations at the known distances (for instance, 300, 400, 500, 600). That info will be pretty dog gone good. Log it, and make a little chart of corrections for your ammo box lid or rifle stock.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I get a true 200 yard zero and enter the bullet bc and an approximate velocity into to ballistic app. I then shoot at two more distances maybe 400 and 600 yards to see where bullet strikes in relation to app program. I adjust the velocity in the app program to make it match the actual dope for these ranges and save it in favorites. It will be real close as far out as you want to go!

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Steve, I have actually got my phone app to track better by simply adjusting the scope height. One can also adjust the velocity. The ‘Bullet Flight’ app is usually a little off but it does not take much adjusting to make it spot on. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Steve, that’s a good tip.

Anonymous
      Inactive

So Mr. Steve you sight in at two hundred instead of a hundred is this a common practice. I have always sighted in at one hundred and used it for zero.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Kenneth, I am a 100 yard zero guy. Each to his own. Just remember what your starting point[zero] is. As far as ballistic calculators, lots of free access on the internet. I think Sierra and Burger both have one on their website. There are also some good phone apps out there. Maybe when it cools off a bit, I will take you to a secret 1000 yard range and let you feel the pain. Maybe!! WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, that’s another new trick for this old one trick pony! I could have lived to a hundred and never thought about Steve’s or your “work a rounds”.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks, I’m getting a lot of good info, I have a couple of phone apps I’m currently using but they have been off. I have been playing with down range zero and they have gotten closer. The biggest problem has been not knowing the muzzle velocity but hope to have that worked out soon too, have a chrony on the way. Have notice also the dope on the app changes with the weather. And Mr. Winne I would like to find such place and I will bring plenty of salt for bullets, don’t want them to ruin before they hit,lol

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.