October Bench Rest @ Reese Bottom

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room October Bench Rest @ Reese Bottom

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Reese Bottom hosted a 600 yard bench rest match on Saturday October 15. Twenty good shooters enjoyed a pleasant fall day and some fairly good shooting conditions. Everyone enjoyed a hot fried catfish sandwich for lunch. There are a few photos from today posted on the ‘Photos’ page and the results are posted on the ‘Results’ page. I mentioned early that we had been working on the computer program and I must admit that an error did show up. All that I will say is that I am sorry and I will get the computer program fixed. The results that list a zero score, 25.00 agg., and zero X represent DQ targets. To rank the shooters I have to enter numbers, not letters. I had to use the very high agg number to make the results rank properly and I added one point to the first target for one shooter to make things work right. Again, I apologize for the error but I am going to attach a photo that about sums it all up. WWE

Attachments:
      Al Barr
      Participant

This was a super fun event hosted by Wynne Echols. Good folks, challenging shooting, food, prizes, and comraderie. First class experience!

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Thanks Al. I sure wish that several of you would offer up your reflections of the match yesterday. Overall, I thought the conditions for shooting were fairly good. I know that 600 yards is a long way also, but I thought that as a whole we all did a very lousy job of centering up on our targets. I was just looking at the results and noticed that there were only twelve ‘Xs’ shot on the day and that the scores all trended low.

Does anyone have a comment on all of the ‘DQ’ targets? Is there a problem with the match that caused this or is it simply a matter of focus? I have tried to learn from my mess ups and there have been many. Did anyone learn anything yesterday that might help the rest of us shoot better? If so, please share. Being that this is the last bench rest match of the year, any reports of progress accomplished throughout the year. All that I will say is that that was some fine pound cake and preserves. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Monday morning, 10/17/16. Britt called this morning to tell me that he had heard from Mr. Richard Allen’s son and that Mr. Richard did have his heart surgery last week and that he is now at home doing well. We all wish him a full, speedy, recovery. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Re: DQ and group placement; my rifle had a loose nut on the trigger😄

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

How about that loose nut mentioned above? What size wrench needed, and which way would I need to turn? Just asking, WWE

Al Barr
          Participant

Just turn it backwards at least 20 years😇

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey I had a great time Saturday and this time I did get to shoot. I admit my DQ was my fault and I can’t blame the gun guess I was having a senior moment lol, not paying attention and shooting the wrong target. Will be back to do better as always trying. Set a high goal got to work hard.

Al Barr
      Participant

Kenneth, I was in pits when you shot your fourth target. I watched your first three shots before I got too busy with my own shooter. Those three shots were as good as I’ve seen at 600 yards.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Kenneth, I’ll throw this out there for what it is worth. My first bench rest rifle was a Savage ‘out of the box’ rifle with the accue-trigger. I was so proud of that rifle. Well the first time we were going to shoot it, several of us went to Reese Bottom and put the thing on the table and a friend was going to be the first to shoot it. I think the second round to be fired snapped and the thing snapped several more time that day. I was just sick, did not know what I had bought. We finally figured out that you have to pull the trigger straight back to engage the ‘accue’ part to allow the trigger to fire properly. What was happening is as you reach in with your finger the finger was hitting the trigger from the side before the ‘accue’ was engaged and the rifle would snap. Not sure if this makes since or even if that is what is happening, but I did notice you recocking the rifle several times. After we figured this out, I never had another problem but I must admit that soon afterwards Britt put a Rifle Basic trigger in the rifle. Food for thought, WWE

brett collins
      Participant

KENNETH MR WYNNE may be correct About the trigger. but I have another theory its that dang CMP cap that you were sporting!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mr Wynne you are exactly right I studied the paper work that came with the rifle and found this to be true after testing dry firing that’s what I was doing. I just got lazy pulling the trigger to the side instead of straight back it will do it every time from the side. Thanks Mr. Al for scoring my DQ target for me just didn’t get the score for it. Hey Brett next time I go to CMP I’ll get you a hat like mine just didn’t know you wanted one so bad lol.

Steve Gilley
      Participant

Running late getting on the forum,been a busy week. As Wynne mentioned there were several good capable shooters there and the scores and x’s certainly didn’t reflect that! The conditions was not that bad. My first string had some out in 7 ring! Why didn’t I pick up on that wind.??

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.