Neck Tension ?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Neck Tension ?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I was wondering if achieving consistent neck tension was an issue with any of you good shooters. I seem to be having issues and am looking for new ideas and techniques. All comments are appreciated. WWE

brett collins
      Participant

MR WYNNE
      I believe that consistency in neck tension is one of the most important steps of reloading
      my routine is this
      starting with brass that has been neck turned for consistency
      1 Clean my brass in corncob media
      2 check the length of my bras and trim if necessary
      3 neck size .002 under
      4 set the shoulder back .001
      5 Run my brass through the expander mandrel
      ( which I believe is one of the most important steps )
      6 finally I clean the inside of the necks with a stiff nylon brush and my drill

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, my procedure is very similar to Brett’s.

I deprime
      Anneal
      Make sure bullet drops through neck of fired case (no donut)
      Size and run over expander mandrel
      Check case length
      Clean in a vibratory cleaner
      Prime
      Powder
      Lube bullet with a case lube (Gunny told me the lube will keep the bullet and the case from sticking if you have to load for a season, as I do)
      Seat bullet with Century 21 hydraulic press at consistently 30-35 pounds of pressure.

Al Barr
      Participant

Amend my post. Ilube the bullet with Imperial Die Wax or Imperial dry lube.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Thank you Brett and Al for this information. All of you good shooters and reloaders, there is something to learn here. I have actually been using a very different approach with failing results. I have been wet tumbling my brass in stainless steel media and believe me, it is clean, and it is pretty. But it ain’t doing good. I have had another gentleman suggesting for some time that he believes that it is very important to leave carbon inside the necks, not to get them squeaky clean as I have been doing. Now here is proof in the comparison. Al and I have the very same seating press and I also used wax. He states that his bullets seated consistently 30 to 35 and the bullets that I loaded for this past weekend had a seating pressure of 35 to approx 100. This leads me to think that carbon in necks may be your friend. Interesting, WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Al, about time for you to leave Texas and come to Alabama where you can shoot up some of that loaded ammo. lol. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

I wish I could.

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynn, you got me thinking ( yeah, I know it was a slow process). I tried seating bullets on one batch of freshly prepared cases. One batch, Ilubed the bullet with just a touch of Imperial Die Wax; these seated at 30-35 psi on the 21st century.

The second group, I lubed the inside of the neck with a q-tip dipped in Imperial Dry Neck Lube, and these seated at 20-25psi on the 21st Century.

What that means to me, at this point, is NOTHING!

What I would love to see is some good shooters give this a work out at 600 yards real early in the morning with as little wind as possible and share their results. If you have a good load; try this approach and see if it helps or hurts. Take notes and pictures.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

20#-30# = 50 cents

20#-25# or 30#-35# = Priceless

I would think that a good shooter could work with either of those spreads. Now my
      35# – 100# creates a whole different set of problems. I plan to soon abandon my squeaky clean necks and head in your direction. I will see if I can notice anything worth reporting. Hope to see you soon, WWE

Brad Mitchell
      Participant

I recently tested this. All brass was wet tumbled and very clean then annealed and ran through a vibratory tumbler. Straight out of the tumbler produced 50lbs of seating force, dry graphite 30 lbs and wet graphite applied to the necks 18lbs. When I varied different bushings (altering squeeze tension) the numbers moved up and down correspondingly. What I believe is I want the lube in the necks that produces the lowest amount of friction from the bullet sliding down in the neck so that the numbers I see on the gauge actually relflect differences in squeeze tension so that I’m only reading one variable.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Brad, great to hear from you. I hope all is well and that we see you soon at Reese Bottom. Thanks for posting the above information. From my experience, be very careful with anything wet during the reloading process. Come see us, WWE

Brad Mitchell
      Participant

Thanks Wynne. Plan on making the match this month with my new 308. I’ll tell you about what I mean with wet graphite then.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Brad, the reason that I mentioned to be careful with things wet. Last year for a bench rest match, I rubbed some imperial wax on my bullets before I seated them and when I shot them during the match at 500 yards several of them bounced off the ground at about 475 yards. It was very hot that day and this was the only thing that I could think of doing any differently. These rounds sounded different upon ignition. I have gotten careless at times and I do believe that I possibly applied too much wax and when it got hot possibly dripped on the powder forming a glob that did not preform as expected. I cannot prove this to be true but I sure hope that someone reads and does not commit the same error. WWE

Steve Gilley
      Participant

I normally follow Brett’s procedure but after tumbling in corncob media I don’t clean the necks with the nylon brush. I think I will try annealing every firing to see if there is any improvement. I normally anneal every 3rd firing. Looking forward to shooting again Sat.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.