mirage

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room mirage

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      brett collins
      Participant

after getting frustrated with the heavy mirage that we had last Saturday. I have been trying to get some information on how to deal with it and came across a couple of interesting articles. and if anyone has information that would help me and others please share I would greatly appreciate it. http://loadoutroom.com/12938/snipers-mirage-tip-week/

Al Barr
      Participant

Brett, that’s good info. In the past; the shooters at Reese Bottom showed lots of interest in a wind/ mirage reading class, taught by someone knowledgeable.

I’m hoping that your post will generate renewed interest in wind/mirage.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good article! Thanks for posting.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Brett, lots of interesting information in the article. Thanks for publishing. Mirage deals me a fit. Dialing the scope magnification down until the picture stabilizes and clears up is the only thing that I have found to help. Something that I have noticed many times while shooting in a heavy mirage, the group will look like a 12 gauge buckshot pattern with no two bullets in the same area. Congrats on the good shooting last weekend. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

My group at 500 was about 2″ high and on steel it was centered. I have been wondering if the small change in angle from the steel plate up to the paper target would cause group to be high. Most likely not, I’m now thinking it was mirage which makes sense. The mirage was moving upward and slightly left-right when I shot. The center of the target was not where it appeared to be!

brett collins
      Participant

Steve I had very similar results.looking back I realize that I had my scope power turned way too high I was at 40 power.if I may ask what power were you using at the 500 yard line.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Brett, I had my scope at about 38 power trying to see bullet holes but I know better! Conditions have to be perfect for me to see a hole at 500. I am fully convinced that it was the mirage.

Al Barr
      Participant

I used 22x at all distances.

Al Barr
      Participant

FWIW, I thought my sighters at 500 were centered on the plate; but my group, such as it was, was to the right.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.