Looking for advice

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Looking for advice

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      John Sanders
      Participant

I’m looking for the FTR guys to give me a few pointers. Looking into a 308 build and wanted to see if I could get someone to get me started. Barrel length, twist, long or short action? I have both short and long action Remington 700’s that I can rebarrel or would you go custom? I know this is not a cheap sport but I’m not gonna jump to big until I get my feet wet. 1K is not on my mind right now, 600 or less is my game for now. I like to keep my mouth closed and ears open. This is new too me but shooting and reloading is not.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

brett collins
      Participant

hi john welcome aboard.
      first of all i am not really a 308 guy. but i do have some experience with it. for my last 308 i had built i used a 30” heavy varmint contour with a 1/10 twist. it did great with the 185gr and 200gr bullets. a remington short action would work great for the 308. but be aware if you do use the remington action the bolt may need to be bushed. because on the Majority of remington bolts the firing pin hole is oversized.
      but that’s a relatively cheap and fast fix. now get er done and have some fun.

John Sanders
      Participant

Thanks Brett, that will definitely get me started. Do you have a specific gunsmith you’d recommend? Black water has come up in conversation but I don’t know anyone there.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

John, it was nice meeting you at Reese Bottom and we look forward to your return. Thanks for heating the dogs. My two cents and it is probably not even worth that. F-T-R is .223 or .308 only shot from a bi-pod and a rear bag. Build a legal rifle so that if you choose to shoot a sanctioned match, you can do so. Rifle with bolt, bi-pod, and scope must weigh less than 18.2 lbs. No reason to build a rifle not capable of shooting to a 1000 yards. Same cost I would think. I’m thinking a .308 is a short action cartridge. I have been shooting a .223 built around a Remington action that has to be eighty years old, so they can be made to work. The bolt has been bushed and a different extractor added but that would not be necessary to begin with. I’m with Brett on the heavier bullets. Match your barrel twist to the range of bullet weights and you will be fine. Stay away from the lighter range of bullets as we have seen even the 168 gn. go to tumbling at 1000 yards. There are several very good .308 rifles that shoot at Reese Bottom so maybe some of there owners will chime in. Good Luck, WWE

John Sanders
      Participant

Thank you Mr Wynne,
      The rifle I am planning to build should be able to shoot 1K I’m just putting a personal limit on myself until I get some load data and range time. Thank you for explaining the weight limits and specs for FTR. I learned a lot last weekend heating the dogs so I’ll probably do it again next month while everyone else is stretching out to 1K.

Brett,
      I called blackwater and left my email address. Hopefully he will contact me soon. Thanks

brett collins
      Participant

john if he doesn’t give him another call in a few days.he gets very busy sometimes.a gunsmith with ocd is a great thing.

John Sanders
      Participant

Yes sir, I’ll call him again. Thanks for all of the help.

brett collins
      Participant

john don’t forget to look at open class guns and rules. it’s more my cup of tea.

John Sanders
      Participant

I’m sure I’ll lean that way as I learn more about all this. 308 is what I hunt with and I am used to loading for that caliber so I thought this might be my best point of entry to this sport. I look forward to getting to know all of you more and learning everything I can. Richard Slaton has been trying to get me to commit for awhile now. Last Saturday’s match did it. I promise not to interfere while you are involved with the match but I will have some open class questions for you when we meet again.

John Sanders
      Participant

I went to see Brit yesterday! Might be awhile before I’m on the line at Reese bottom but the ball is rolling.

Al Barr
      Participant

Is Surrell still hot with his .308?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.