Lapua or Norma Brass??????

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Lapua or Norma Brass??????

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Lapua or Norma brass I know they are both good but one has got to be better than the other.Who can tell me the better one?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Surrell, I have used both and they are both great brass. Lapua does not make brass for 300 Wsm so Norma is what I use. I retired some of the first brass I bought after 15 loadings and never had a split neck! I use Lapua in my Br and my 6.5 and have never had any problems with them either. Can not go wrong with either in my opinion.

Al Barr
      Participant

Surrell, I have used both and have found both to be quality brass. A shooter would most likely wear out several barrels testing for a “best”.

Steve and Al they are both top of the line brass I have a lot more Lapua than Norma.I do have some Lapua that I have been shooting for 15 years and lost some due to cracked neck only two in 308 but I have just started trying the Norma brass have some in 308 and 300WM and so far they are doing good will have to see if it last……

Anonymous
      Inactive

I recently bought an annealing machine and plan on annealing all my brass after 3 firings. Hopefully this will help maintain better neck tension and extend the brass life even farther. Is this often enough or should I anneal after every firing?

Al Barr
      Participant

Hey Steve, which brand of annealer did you buy?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Benchsorce and love it.

Tony Graham
      Participant

Surrell,
      The only difference between Lapua and Norma are the flash holes! Both are the best of the best. Lapua punch the flash holes and Norma drill out the flash holes! I shoot Lapua when I can get them in a particular cartridge and shoot Norma or RWS on everything else. If you have Lapua, deburr the flash holes and you are good to go. Norma cases do not require deburring.
      Tony

Tony Graham
      Participant

Surrell,
      Don’t worry about split necks! If you want them to last a life time, anneal. Spit necks are a sign of work hardening. Steve for my Match brass I anneal after every firing! But there again, take it for what you paid.
      Tony

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Surrell, With one of my supply orders, I for some reason bought 50 pieces of Norma brass. When it came, I put it up and actually forgot I had it. When we chambered the dasher, I got to looking around and uncovered it. The first thing that I did was get out the calipers and started measuring a few cases. What I determined was, as compared to lapua, the norma was thicker and shorter. The necks appear to be a couple .001 thicker and the OAL maybe .010 to .015 shorter. I actually primed one and took it out in the backyard and shot it, brought it in side and remeasured. The neck measured almost .015 and the OAL was 1.300 + a little. I think the specs recommend a maximum OAL of 1.555 for the dasher and after having to trim the norma brass to say 1.300 to get them all alike, I determined that the .025″ was too short to try to deal with the carbon ring. I will say that the lapua is also short of the allowed max, but is roughly .015 longer that the norma. The norma brass is high quality, more expensive, and I guess if the shooter keeps a good eye on the chamber neck, being short should not matter. Somebody should have experience with this. Let us hear from you. Thanks, WWE

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.