Hybrid vs VLD

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Hybrid vs VLD

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Benjamin Mitchell
      Participant

Im currently on team VLD, however my wife has great success with the hybrids as does a lot of people I come across. Whats you alls opinion on this matter?? I always load my VLD’s with a ever so slight jam (maybe .002-.003). All the hybrid users say they can load them from jam to jump no problem.

Thoughts??

Al Barr
      Participant

Go with what works in what rifle. If both loads have equal water lines, then go with BC, then velocity.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey Ben I hear you might be doing some testing too. Did some checking and my old Dasiy Red Ryder likes Daisy 177 copper coated. I have been working with 155 gr Sierra TMK, my gun likes them and the 168’s with Varget.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Ben, you have asked a question that probably does not have an exact answer. Al’s point is a good one. Test and find out yourself what you think your rifle shoots the best. I do believe it to be beneficial to decide on a bullet and develop your load around the bullet of choice. You hear of lots of people that wear out a barrel in load development, so that should be avoided. At one time, I had two dashers that I was trying to do different things with and I decided to get away from that so I can only imagine trying to load for two different people and rifles. Maybe there is something to be learned from Sarah’s good shooting, just saying. Good luck with which ever choice you make and be sure and keep us all posted. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey Ben I hope you listened about that water line I think it’s real important. What works in one gun most likely will not work in the other. Them old timers have a lot of knowledge, I’ve been paying attention.

Steve Gilley
      Participant

I have had good luck with the hybrids and they seem to be easier to tune to that water line, but if you put the time in testing the Vld’s will shoot just as well! Have fun testing and don’t forget to log down outside temps!

Al Barr
      Participant

It took a good bit of testing (translation- money) to learn that shooting a rifle with any type of projectile causes wear in the throat area of the chamber. If you are jamming a bullet a certain amount (VLD) to get your best accuracy, it is not set and forget; you need to check for that wear on a periodic basis and compensate for it by lengthening your base to Ogive measurement to maintain that gilt edge accuracy.

If your rifle is one that will shoot the hybrid well, especially at various lengths, that would seem to be an advantage for hybrids.

Time for my nap.😋

Benjamin Mitchell
      Participant

Well I bit the bullet and bought some hybrids to test out. Haven’t had much time to extensively test but so far the results are OK. I have to say there something interesting about getting a 155 hybrid to run 3000+ fps outta the .308. Found a couple nodes with very little vertical in them but I was only shooting 200 yards that day. I know 600 can be a different story. I had them seated .020 off the lands as a starting point. Anyone seat their hybrids differently? Until i can do a seating test I guess I will leave them there. Either way we will have a good time.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey Ben I got some TMK’s running 3030 shot the November match at Reese Bottom they group really well but whew that barrel got hot so I back off the charge and found a new grouping that still shoots 2910 and the barrel is not trying to melt down. It’s going to be my load for this next match.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Ben, just watched a video of John Whidden being interviewed after winning the Berger National’s in which he mentioned that he had shot hybrids in two different rifles with obviously much suggest. But, Lester Bruno set a record of 200, 23X, I think shooting berger bullets. This sounds confusing, but both must be very good products. WWE

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.