Hot loads in this heat

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Hot loads in this heat

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Didn’t shoot last week at Gabriel Creek due to neck issues but did let my guns be used. The loads that shot great all year was showing pressure signs, stiff bolt lift mainly. When the Br made it to the grand final I found that the sun was then on the ammo and they were hot to the touch. 1st 2 shots went high at 500. Went down 3 clicks and next 3 were hits. Problem was all the final primers fell out of case when extracted!! Lesson learned for 98F days! Anybody else experience any problems?

brett collins
      Participant
      Larry Linneman
      Participant

thats why i dont use rl 15 in my 308 or h380 in my 22-250 in the summer months to temp sensitive for me

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Steve, I shoot Varget in everything that I own. I have had good luck doing load development at 70* F and adjusting .1 grain for each 10* F change, in either direction. I will look at the hourly weather forecast and try to make an educated guess at the temperature. Does not always work as planned. I have also found that barrels have different nodes. A lighter load will eliminate some of the problems and if properly tuned shoot just as well. I shot the same lighter load in the .223 all last summer in the mid range prone matches and never had any pressure signs. That was shooting 70 + rounds in the heat. Thanks for posting this. Shooters never quit learning. WWE

brett collins
      Participant

my observation from Saturday at the CMP Range.
      first of all my load is 30gr of varget that gets me 2860 fps @ 50° and my dial up is 12.25 moa to get me on center
      now this Saturday it was 98° and I only had to dial up 12.0 moa
      So the difference was only 1.5707″ @ 600yards from a 50° day and a 98° day
      not too bad I thank?

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Brett, tell us more about your trip to CMP. Thanks, WWE

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.