Group Size Question?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Group Size Question?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

A question or two for all of you good shooters. If you are developing a load for a bench rest rifle that you plan to shoot at 500 yards, how well would the rifle have to group for you to be satisfied with the load? 1 moa, 3/4 moa, 1/2 moa, 1/3 moa, etc? We all know that the stars line up occasionally, but what is realistic?

To have a successful mid range F-Class type gun, how well does it need to group to be acceptable? Opinions please, WWE

Bob Relinski
      Participant

Wynne,
      If it won’t shoot repeatable 1/4 moa at 200 we keep working on it, most time’s you can squeeze a bit better on a no wind day.
      Bob

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr Bob, I have heard it said that some of these longer bullets might not go to sleep at 200 yards. Would say a 1/3 moa at 400 yards be acceptable? Also, would you care to share a thing or two about what you might do to squeeze a bit better out of a load or rifle? Thank you for the information. WWE

Bob Relinski
      Participant

Wynne,
      I used to believe the sleep theory until a couple of year’s ago when Bryan Litz book’s came out and he started posting on accurate shooter. Not quite as true as we believed. Turn’s out my load’s were just not in tune as much as I thought. There are 100s of way’s to accomplish the voodoo it take’s for 1 hole shot after shot. Being a number’s guy I use the OBT theory of Chris Long with quickload and a chrony then prove or disprove it on a target to get started. For me it work’s, probably are better way’s. That said shooter’s down south are much better at reading conditions then up north for the most part. My ability to read the wind is 0, proven many time’s when beat by a fellow who bought his bullet’s that morning at Walmart. Sometimes my equipment overcomes, if only we can figure out both!
      Bob

Anonymous
      Inactive

In point blank benchrest (100-200 yards) 1/4 Moa is a must to win but as the distance goes out to 500/600 yards it would be very hard to shoot 1/4 Moa consistently. 1″ to 1.25″ groups at those ranges are good days!

Mike Reekie
      Participant

Britt built me a 6 BR and my best group with it after about 800 rounds measured 1.437 at 500 yds, which is just a bit over 1/4 MOA. However, my average at 500 yds is more like 2.7. I suspect many things, including reloading techniques and materials, poor rear sandbag, poor eyesight, inability to read the wind, etc… Makes me wonder why I keep blowing my money up in smoke; but I love it. See you at the competitions.

Brad Mitchell
      Participant

Under an inch at 300 is my criteria. I can’t test any further.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.