Good Hunting Scope?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Good Hunting Scope?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

What would someone recommend for a good hunting scope with target knobs that could be easily adjusted from 100 to 450 yards?Hunting old road bed 450 yards long with a 308 or 300 WM or 7MM Mag?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I love the Schmidt & Bender 2 1/2 x 10 x 56 for low light shooting. I don’t think there is anything better out there unless you may be shooting at longer ranges and need to dial up. I recently bought a Nightforce to replace the Schmidt because of the ability to make longer shots more easily. It is the 5 1/2 to 22 power with a 56mm front glass and the Moar illuminated reticle. You can either dial up if time permits or use the Moa hash marks for holdover. I think this scope covers the whole spectrum of hunting scenarios. Price however is a little steep at around $1800. Maybe I can remember to bring it next time I’m at a match for you to look through Surrell.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Surrell, here is what I remember about deer hunting. I turned 63 last week and killed my last deer at the ripe old age of 28. So please be very careful with this information. I killed my first deer when I was 13 years old and he was in high gear chased by a pack of Walker hounds. Rifle hunting was unheard of at that time but did begin to show up five or six years later. My dad bought me an old Army surplus 30-06 with iron sights about my 18th birthday. That next Christmas my granddaddy took me to Mr. Selby’s hardware store here in Linden where they had a cardboard lean back on the counter with three 3 X 9 Tasco scopes attached. He made my Christmas with his $39 purchase. A few years later dad bought me a .222 Remington(the action on the .223 that I shoot today)and a Redfield scope(hog heaven) About the time that I quit hunting, some fellow came to town with a Leopold and claimed that he could shoot 15 minutes later than the Redfield. I thought that was impossible so I quit hunting and all of my friends headed to Walter Craig’s in Selma, Al. to buy a Leopold. I suggest that you find a crosshair that you can see late in the afternoon at a price that you can afford and go for it. WWE

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Wynne Echols.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.