Gilley's 1 Mile Target

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Gilley's 1 Mile Target

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Mr. Steve Gilley and Mr. Johnny Pace came to Reese Hill this morning with a mission in mind. To hit a target 1 mile away. I have pieced a video together from this morning and hope to get it up later tonight. Maybe, maybe not, a very large file. We had a 6′ X 8′ backer and a gentle wind from 2 o’clock made it very difficult to hit the backer. The main thing learned was that a mile is a long way to try to read a condition or conditions. It was an interesting morning to say the least. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

There is a video of some of this up on the ‘Home’ page. Enjoy. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I had an email request this morning asking if I had more footage of Steve actually shooting at a mile so I have added a second video of Steve shooting with Johnny’s help on the ‘Home’ page. Notice how smoothly Steve breaks his shots. Steve says somewhere that he could not believe that it took us six shots to get on the backer. I think that I was giving him a lot of mis information. I was thinking the bullet was high when I am now pretty sure it was missing to the left. If I learned anything from this experience, it was that, over a miles distance, a very small breeze can move a 140 grain bullet easily 6 to 8 feet and if you hold for that condition, a letup will take the bullet that far in the other direction. Our target backer was 8 feet across[4 feet from center to edge] and that was a problem. Moral of the story: if one shoots a mile, throw some more lead at the target.

brett collins
      Participant

good job guys! I have one question at what distance does that little bullet go to sleep (sub sonic).I have read that at that point The accuracy goes out the window. @ 2850 FPS it should go sub sonic at About 1500 yards. what do you guys think?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It does become sub sonic somewhere around 1500 yards but from most of the info that I have read some bullets fair better that others through this zone. I still think that they may re-stabilize but on a slightly different flight path! Although the hits did cut a clean straight hole there were some unexplained mysteries as I turned the turrents!! Thanks Wynne for allowing us to try.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Steve, I was thinking today about some of the things that we witnessed yesterday. A 1 mile shot is unchartered waters for all of us and I am convinced that we do not have a clue as to the effects of conditions over that distance. I once had a good shooter suggest to me that a 2″ group at 500 yards would equate to an 8″ group at 1000 yards. This is opinion not science of course, but if it is anywhere close, can you imagine the factors that would apply to a 1 mile shot? Another thing that we seemed to notice was that the bullet seemed to track higher later in the morning. I was wondering if that could have anything to do with the temperature rising throughout the morning and the air getting thinner. Anyone out there have any thoughts on this? WWE

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.