FTR Rules

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room FTR Rules

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Do any of you good shooters know where a fellow could find a simple list of FTR and F-Open rules? I was not at all satisfied with the stability of my set-up Saturday and I noticed several shooters with different types of platforms that looked really stable. Is this an if-it-works-use-it thing or are there limitations as to what can be used.

Is shooting a .223 any different than shooting any other rifle? Lighter bullet, smaller case, etc.? Is there a better powder for the .223 than Varget? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, WWE

Bob Relinski
      Participant

F class Section in back

Attachments:
      1. hpr-book.pdf
      Bob Relinski
      Participant

Waynne,
      What bullet are you currently shooting? Up north I shoot a .223 Salvage setup for the 80 SMK using RL15, Sinclair bipod, on a piece of 3/4 plywood 12″ x 14″ does not exceed the 2″ rule usually in the top 3.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Bob, I am shooting 80 gn Bergers, lapua brass, CCI BR 4 primers, 24 gn Varget, in a 1X8 twist brux barrel, and a trued Remington action. Looking back, I leaned on the rifle pretty good and it just did not seem as stable as I would like. If this weather will ever break, I plan to do some load testing and also work on my set up. 584 is my personal best and I have set my goal to get over 585, but that couple of points is being awful hard headed. Help me get there. Thanks WWE
        ps. thank you for the above link.

Bob Relinski
      Participant

Built a 223 for a fella up north that has shoot a couple of cleans at 300 he uses berger 80s will check tonite his was a Krieger 28″ but I don’t remember twist will check and get back

Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne, as always, I will issue the standard warning and waiver that I may not know what I am talking about but here we go. After considerable research on the Internet; I made my “board” 12in.X24in.

More knowledgeable shooters than I recommend a tight weave carpet with no rubber underneath; be used to cover the board.

Bob Relinski
      Participant

3.4.1b2 says 12″x24″ for bipod is legal but my thickness of 3/4″ is now too thick. 1/2″ max

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Bob, I did read through the rules this afternoon while I was supposed to be working and I found the rule about the boards. 12 X 24 seemed to be the max but my question is about the 2 inches. Do the rules allow for 2″ outside each leg or 1″ outside each leg for a total of 2″? A Harris Bi-Pod is a lot narrower than many of these newer wider bi-pods. I assume that the width of the narrower bi-pod would mandate a narrower board, correct? I am going to have to reread to find about the thickness of the board. I actually have a sand filled pad that came with the Seb Joy-Pod that I hope is legal. I would never want an unfair advantage, except at Reese Bottom. WWE

Bob Relinski
      Participant

Wynne story goes
      Pre 2014 rule change used to be board cannot exceed the support by more than 2″ so my 36″ wide leg style bipod could use a 38″ board legally. To stop this they then added the max 24″ in 2014 but left in the 2″ part ok still pretty clear 2″ wider with a 24″ max. Then Rempel and Duplin come out with bipods that the legs move in and out to adjust the elevation so the width varies when I adjust elevation. From what I have run into and if you look closely at the photo’s and talk from the national event’s 12″x24″ is the number they in force, I just caught the 1/2″ part. According to Seb the supplied pad with the joy pod is NRA legal, seen it used no questions.
      223 info 1-8 28″ Krieger LV, Lapua brass, BR4, 23.7 Varget, he thinks they are -.020 off lands

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Bob Relinski.
      Sam Entrican
      Participant

Wynne , most shooters I see using the joypod are using it f-open style. One hand on joystick and one hand on rifle. No bag squeezing. I noticed you use both hands on rifle when you shoot. Might try borrowing and trying a fee different rear bags.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Thanks Sam. I tried to shoot the .223 prone like I have been shooting my bench rifles and I could tell that is was not working very well but I refused to do any different. I had planned to prep before this match and for various reasons, I never got it done. I have had a conversation with another good shooter about this and he mentioned a lot of the same things. Another thing that I seem to really battle with is the 20 shot string. On the third relay Saturday, I thought that I had been shooting for an hour and looked and still had 8 more rounds to shoot. You would think that shooters come to shoot so I think I need to get with the program. I saw a T-shirt once that said something like “FTR does it in the dirt”. WE will figure this out. Thanks again, WWE

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Sam, a couple of questions. What do you mean when you say F-Open style? What would I be looking for in a different rear bag? Sorry for all the questions, but please remember I am a beginner still trying to learn. Thanks, WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

I believe that the SEB “pod pad” is legal because it folds.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.