E-Target Shooting

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room E-Target Shooting

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Fixing to ramble a little so please forgive me. Learning to shoot these e-targets and zeroing in on the virtual X has been a learning experience for me. During the fun day yesterday I had several comments that led me to write about this. First, I think that it is a must that all good shooters have known zero that includes a very good windage zero. I choose to use a 100 yard zero but others may choose a different distance. Use of these known numbers are what are going to help the good shooters to quickly get inside of the sensors on the e-target. Once inside the sensors, forget about everything other than trying to find the center of the virtual X. Yesterday for example, nine out of ten shooters first bullet inside the sensors was low and right of the virtual X. Some said, I have a good windage zero and the wind appears to be from right to left, why is the bullet to the right of the virtual X? We have measured the frames and entered what we think are good numbers and the e-targets do not know anything but what we told them. Also, each time we put the targets up and take them down they will not be in the exact same place. What I am trying to say here is do not try to relate the first point of impact to anything. Just be glad that impact is inside the sensors and then use your site in period to find the center of the virtual X. Notice the condition that allows you to find the center of the virtual X and then start holding for that condition and shoot X’s like a certain fellow did yesterday. If you missed it, see photo below.

I left yesterday with a head full of another good shooters knowledge. If you have any secrets, I would suggest not leaving your range book laying around. Thanks Champion Master Sniper, now we all know how you do it. Sorry for the length, WWE

Attachments:
      Richard Slaton
      Participant

Ok mr Wynne attached is my target what do I need to do BEFORE I take a screen shot so it will show each hit like it does on Brett’s target. I know it’s to-late now unless it save it to your pc

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Richard, it is on the PC but if you noticed last Saturday we did not take the time to name each group as we saved it. We used the save feature to simply clear each target. Worked for me, not so well for you. Remind me next time and we will get you fixed up. The group that I used above was easy to identify, others not so much. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

The upper right corner mentions “unnamed” so I don’t know who’s target that is. lol. Learn to do that finger pinch thingy to expand the screen before you take the screen shot. My laptop screen is much bigger and allows that but your phone screen should allow for enough enlargement to ID the bullets. WWE

brett collins
      Participant

yea we don’t know who’s target that was

brett collins
      Participant

but seriously I would like to know what the actual offset is of the virtual x i know that mr. wynne says about 3 moa but according to my DOP it was closer to 2.5 or so The reason that I ask is because I am working on a new load with a new caliber all I have for reference is my 100 yard zero and what my ballistic app is telling me So to know the actual offset number would be very helpful in my calculations

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Brett, you have asked a question that has no exact answer as far as the exact offset. This is what I do know. I learn something new every time that we fool with this stuff. Michael Claunch and I fooled with this stuff for over a half day on Friday and left completely frustrated trying to make two targets work on different frequencies. You noticed that we only used one target on Saturday because we could not make the two work. I have also had a sign shop make me some replica targets on plastic that should last a while and at the same time found a new way to clap the targets that should save time and effort. Michael and I put up two targets on Friday at a certain height and when I got home the hardware store had left a message that the clamps had come in so on Saturday when we went down to put up a new target with clamps I actually moved it down a little which allowed me to handle them easier. I knew they were a little off but I also knew that 3 moa should get everyone within the 6′ square. I had waited until the last minute and got in a small bind with pulling off the deal on Saturday. I will promise that by the next time we shoot at 1000 yards, I will have the “target point of aim X” exactly 30 inches above the virtual X. I can promise this but I cannot promise that this measurement is exactly 3 moa. I have been told that all scopes do not track the same and things like altitude density, temperature and sunlight can change things from day to day. My thinking is that if all good shooters will do their load development and record their actual dope numbers, our offset would be intended to get the shooter within the 6′ square and then the shooter could use the sight in shots to find the virtual X. My intent was not to mislead anyone but to simply get everyone inside the 6′ square and away from the $500 sensor hub. It’s a work in progress, WWE

brett collins
          Participant

MR.WYNNE I appreciate all the hard work that both you and Michael do for us and I do appreciate your taking the time to explain this to me I was just trying to find a easy way to verify My DOP this particular go round was a first for me normally I verify my dop at 100 300 and 600 yards But in this case before Saturday I had not shot the 284 past 100 yards doing load work up and I know it would safe for me to just call this a 3 moa offset So thank you again for your time and trouble it is very much appreciated buy me and everyone else

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Richard, if you would so kindly allow me to comment on your picture above, I would like to bring something to all good shooters attention. If you think back to yesterday, most good shooters were asked to take their known dope at 1000 yards and lessen by approximately three moa to get close to the virtual X. Now lets explain the three moa difference. The sensors on the four corners of the target stand create an approximate six foot square(that is represented in your above photo by the solid gray line). We then took both the vertical and horizontal lengths and converted inches to millimeters and entered those numbers into the Shotmarker program to create the target frame virtual X. Now look back at your photo and notice that the grids(or actual target) are offset somewhat below the solid gray frame. This is basically 1 moa low accomplished by adding 250 mm(1 moa @ 1000 yards = 10 inches = 250mm) to the vertical(y) axis in the Shotmarker program. In other words we changed the location of the virtual X. We accomplish the other two moa simply by raising the actual target approximately twenty inches above center. Most all bullets pass below the actual target(only six holes in target yesterday). That should allow use of the targets for an extended time and I am sure that you noticed that the sight picture is extremely close to the ground, esp from the prone position so we are also able to raise the sight picture. Prone shooters at 1000 yards are pretty much going to be looking just above the dirt at 500 yards and again at approximately 800 yards. The good shooters must make mirage your friend or else. Go have a palm reader explain all this. WWE

brett collins
      Participant

MR. WYNNE that is helpful information and it explains a lot thank you for taking the time to explain it to me

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Wynne, why do you even bother with an offset in the first place? Answer, to save the target and esp. the sight picture from getting destroyed. The virtual X at 600 yards is 2 moa below the targets X and this past year the good shooters have shot a hole about the size of your head in the target. The sight picture at 600 is still perfect and we are just trying to take better care of the new targets at 1000. They came with fees attached. WWE

Richard Slaton
      Participant

I fully agree I rather deal with virtual X than try to aim at a target that the good shooter’s of Reese Bottom “done shot the center out of”
      Sat I was either lucky or prepaid my brought Drop pretty well matched what we came up with Sat. my Chronograph said I was @2725 Mr. Wynne’s said 2730 (I had added .1 gr. For 50 degs.) my 300 and 600 drop matched up and all figured I need to come up 36.30 @1K -3MOA offset puts me @31.25 which I dialed in I think I added 1 click right windage. Which put me pretty dang close 9,10,8, dropped 1 click X,X,9,X 9,9,10
      Looking at my group it was centered a little high I think dropping 2 more clicks would have put me center/center that would have put my off set @ 3.5 to 3.75 if I did the math right. Brett said his was closer to 2.5. have not hear anyone else say what theirs were. I think with time we will learn all the if’s and ‘s and but’s of the Shot Marker. Bottom line NO MORE PIT DUTLY and we shooting @1K
      Merry Christmas
      jrs

brett collins
        Participant

MR. RICHARD my DOP was from my phone APP only as I have not yet had the opportunity to collect actual dop on the 284 yet so it may very well be a tad off looking back I wish that I had put a few rounds on the 500 yard steel plate and recorded that data

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

This conversation has got me wondering if there are others out there that might have questions about the Shotmarker E-Target System or even what we are trying to accomplish with the system. If in doubt about anything, please ask and if I cannot answer your question I promise that I will find you an answer. Plans right now are to use the system at either 600 yards or 1000 yards for every match shot in 2020. We will probably change the match format some so I hope that by then all good shooters will be comfortable with what we are doing. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. WWE

scott parten
      Participant

Using my app -3 for the etarget I was in in the 7 ring at 5 o’clock Saturday. Little tweak up from there and called it good.
      I shot the plates before I left. My notes confirm I took out between 2.75 and 3 moa to be in the x on the etarget.

SP

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.