Bumping the shoulder

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Bumping the shoulder

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I am still working with my 6.5 today. I got to a few rounds that were tight to close the bolt on. I usually always have to bump the shoulders on my 6.5 after every shooting, but these were a few I missed. I really couldn’t tell a differenc in the grouping. None were very good. The main thing was the pain in the butt of closing the bolt and opening it back up.
      Have any of you guys got a comment on this. Does the tight case reduce accuracy in any way?

Tony Graham
      Participant

Dan,
      I don’t think that a bump or NK size will give you a difference on the target during load work. It will affect your group during a match, due to wresting w/ the rifle between shots. The common practice in LR BR is to bump .001-.002” to avoid the wrestling/ disrupting the rifle on the bags. Short Range boys are watching daisy wheels and flags more than the LR boys. LR boys are more concerned about getting all of the rounds to the target before the conditions change. SR NK size and LR bump!
      Tony

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Tony, good to see you back on the forums. Understand that you have had a work change. Align the stars and come shoot with us. Hope all is well. WWE

Anonymous
        Inactive

Thanks Tony for the info. I agree, you really disrupt the rifle fighting with it. I have always bumped the shoulders as you said, these were somehow a few that got by me. THANKS

Anonymous
      Inactive

I normally bump mine after annealing which is after 3 firings, but I recently ran into some Br rounds that were tight. May start bumping every time. A tight bolt not only moves you gun but also breaks your focus!

Dave Burkart
      Participant

When I finish annealing, trimming, deburring and cleaning my last step is to chamber every piece of brass in the gun to verify that it chambers easily. It is just one more check to verify I didn’t miss sizing a piece of brass.

Dave

Tony Graham
      Participant

Gilley and Burkart are correct! If you anneal the case necks will expand when the heat is applied. I always bump/size after annealing. Gilley, set your die to bump .001” every time and life will be easy for you. Then again, don’t and some of us lesser shooters can win!
      Wynne,
      I’ll try to make it Saturday. I’ve got to go back out to Houston on Sunday. My schedule is back on track and will be 14/14 from now on. I ‘am going Britt’s tomorrow.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Please let me throw this little finding into this conversation. This past Thursday night as I was getting my brass ready to load for the match yesterday, I set up my Redding full length sizing die into a RCBS rockchucker press and began bumping the shoulders on the brass that I planned to use on Saturday. I use a dial indicator and Redding Competition shellholders to measure the bump. I start with the thickest shellholder and change by .002 until I see first movement and that is where I bump to. It is usually always less than .002 initial movement which I would think is okay. Thursday night the first of the twenty moved .0015 and so I proceeded to bump the other nineteen. For some reason, I decided to compare some of the measurements and come to find out that out of the twenty pieces of brass that I bumped, there was a .003 difference in some of the cases. I say all of this to say that if shoulder bump is important to you and your accuracy, develop a consistent stroke with which ever press you use. I admit that I am a sloppy reloader, but I would challenge several of you good shooters to monitor this and let us know what you find. WWE

Anonymous
        Inactive

Wynne, had all of this brass been annealed the same amount of times? If not, maybe one was softer than the next and easier to move. I have personally never annealed any of my brass, so I have no idea if it is a possibility. Just food for thought.

Wynne Echols
          Keymaster

Dan, I have about decided that I was not lubing the cases enough and when the sizing die would get near the base of the case it was making a very inconsistent grab on the brass. Remedy seems to be to better lube the brass before sizing. Live and learn. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Dan, this is a “Gunny Sez”

Roland suggested that when sizing cases; that you leave the case compressed at the top of the stroke, for the period of time it takes to lube the next case with the Imperial Die Wax. His contention is that this procedure helps overcome the “spring back”, especially in unannealed brass.

It works for me, and I still do it, even though I anneal after each firing.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.