Breathing Techniques

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Breathing Techniques

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Is anyone willing to share information that they have either tried or read about concerning a proper breathing routine while shooting. Will the same technique work for both benchrest and prone shooting? Thanks, WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

I try to fog the mirror first thing when I get up. If I do, then I know it’s a good day!

Anonymous
      Inactive

When you get a belly like mine, breathing is always a problem…lol. Seriously though, I have found when shooting in the prone position that it works best for me to put my weight on my arms and keep my cheek off the gun or at least just barely touching. If I lay my cheek too snugly on the gun, I find that I am not as stable. Kinda the same thing at the bench, but when sitting it does not effect my shooting as much. Not that this is right or wrong, it just seems to work for me. I am open to new ideas too and can’t wait to see what others have to offer.

Mike Reekie
      Participant

I use the same basic technique that I have used shooting pistols since about 1970. I take a quick breath, slowly letting it out as I settle into a final hold and apply pressure to the trigger. In our competitions there is no timed/rapid fire, so I don’t worry if the hold doesn’t seem perfect. I just take another breath, let is out slowly, settle into the shot and touch the trigger. Of course, wind and other factors enter in, but I try to shoot quickly, breathing properly, while conditions hold fairly steady.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.