Best All Around Rifle?

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Best All Around Rifle?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Just wondering what would be the best all around Rifle for a Tactical,Hunting and Long Range Targets shooting.What would be the best weight and set up for all three?Which caliber and brake or no brake?Tell me what you think……

Anonymous
      Inactive

Surrell I asked that question to a life-long competitive shooter, Mr Don Geraci. Mr. Geraci was the IBS BR World Champ in 1976 I think. He was an invited participant in the “Secrets of the Houston Warehouse” project. This is what he told me:
      Now don’t shoot the messenger.
      He said, “Jim, trying to find one gun for 3 applications is a good way to insure mediocrity in all three.” I still think it’s a good question though. I just ain’t gonna ask him again.
      LOL
      BTW,
      He’s probably right. He usually is.

Al Barr
      Participant

The non folding AICS comes pretty close to all around as you describe.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hmmm, tough question… Broad parameters…. Please define your idea of tactical. CQB, medium, or long range?
      Regardless, there will have to be some compromise on all fronts:
      Knockdown power vs firepower, firearm weight vs portability, accuracy vs capacity/rate of fire, etc…
      My choice would be around 10lbs, .308win, magazine fed semi-auto w/ optics & mbuis (sounds like the M1A I’m building {self-bias}).
      A proven caliber for deer, long range Target, & overall combat use. The M1A is rugged & dependable, and with proper tuning is VERY accurate for an autoloader. I’ve been cautioned by several combat veteran friends that the current wave of .30 cal AR platforms are indeed accurate, but fall woefully short in the reliability area under tactical/combat conditions. FAL & HK meet the tactical criteria but fall short in the accuracy dept at distance for target work when compared to the M1A.
      That’s some of my $.02 anyway. Always open-eared for other opinions though.
      Jason

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.