August @ Reese Bottom

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room August @ Reese Bottom

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

The August match at Reese Bottom will be shot from the benches on Saturday August 20, 2016. Please arrive by 8 a.m. so that we can draw for relays and hopefully be shooting by 9 a.m. We will divide the rifles into the same three divisions as usual. The course of fire will be 5 @ 200 yards; 5 @ 300 yards; 5 @ 400 yards; and 5 @ 500 yards plus sight in shots at each distance. The 500 yard target will be for the ‘Gunny Pot’ and small prizes will be awarded in each division for the smallest group at each distance. $10 per gun with a two gun max per shooter. Hope to see many of you good shooters on the 20th. More rifles in each division makes for better competition.

After this match, we will have three matches remaining in 2016. September will be a mid range prone match, October will be 4 official IBS targets @ 600 yards from the benches, and we will rap up 2016 in November with a mid range prone match. Each of these matches will be held on the 3rd Saturday of the month. Somebody tell us of a good shooting experience. WWE

Well I got some needed trigger time this morning at Gabriel Creek shot some 5 shot groups at 500 yards was not the best groups but I got to shoot.I took my almost 5 year old with me and he done very well he done every thing I ask him to do and he said it’s fun to go shooting with papa.I’m hope to get him behind a shooter very soon and will be bringing him to Reese Bottom only when he is able to hit his target at 500 yards it may take a year or two before this happens.Looking forward to this months match I got some loads that I loaded with my new scales just ready to shoot them and see if it helps.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Recently pulled some bullets from my 6Br loads due to pressure problems which was caused by new brass neck wall thickness. I ran a mandrel in them and turned to .012″. Reloaded with 30.2 varget. Some of the fired brass had loose primer pockets. Shooting 20 rounds today at 750 yards there was two groups that formed! About 8 rounds went 8″ lower than the others but neither group had much vertical! Any answers? I was shooting from tower but seemed to be stable. Guess I will anneal brass and start over separating out the loose primer pocketed ones.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Steve, the eight would seem to definitely have some different characteristic than the others. My question on the loose primer pockets is how loose is too loose because dealing with both Norma and Lapua brass, l see quite a range of seating tension. Maybe I could do a better job of sorting brass. Another thought, I often shoot through a chrony and I see that neck tension really affects velocity, which could result in some up and down. Gun handling and conditions, maybe? Let us know what you find out. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Steve, you can sort out the cases with the loose primers by measuring the web area with a micrometer.

You read the wind better than I do; but you might want to consider that as a suspect in two groups forming.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I full length sized and bumped shoulders plus annealed. Going to try keeping the loose primer pocketed brass in a separate group to see if there is a difference

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.