Announcing the May Mid Range Prone Match

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Announcing the May Mid Range Prone Match

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

The match is mentioned on the home page, here are the details. On Saturday May 17, 2014 Backwater Custom Rifles will sponsor a Mid Range Prone Match at Reese Bottom. For those interested, plans are to start the day with an open discussion about the strategy of becoming a successful F-Class shooter. This will begin at 8:00 a.m. and as soon as all comments are made and all questions are answered we will start registration and hopefully be shooting shortly thereafter. Our hope is that each participant will pick up ideas that they can discuss with other shooters during the match. Plans are to shoot an official match of 3 X 20 shot relays. Each person will be expected to shoot, score, and work the pits[targets] No food or drinks will be furnished so bring food and drinks with you that you can snack on-the-go. One gun per shooter with $10 entry fee. Chamber flags at all times and no muzzle breaks. All entry money will be returned to the different winners. The division winners will also be presented plagues.

As mentioned above, plans are to shoot three, twenty shot, relays. Those involved with planning the match are so hopeful that some day the whole world will show up wanting to shoot. The thought is that we can easily handle 30 shooters[March = 17], but when and if that day does come, our wish is that those in attendance will be very understanding of the changes in format that will have to take place{2 X 20, 2 X 25, 2 X 30, etc.} Hope to see many of you on the 17th.

Mike Reekie
      Participant

It looks like I will not make it to that one. Last time, when I fired from prone, my old body ached after just twenty rounds, so you told me it would be OK to shoot from the bench. My second target was excellent, but I felt that it was wrong for me to shoot from the bench while most all others were prone. My third target results were very poor, and I am glad. I am going to continue to work out in our local gym and next time I will shoot all my shots prone or I won’t compete. I don’t have any physical disability…just age and lack of flexibility, but I will work on it.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Good luck Mike. I should probably come work out with you. We could all probably benefit for some exercise. Hope to see you back at Reese Bottom soon.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Mike, you need to look no further. Take a good look at the photo. Click the photo to enlarge. Oops, I am referring to the table. I encourage you to use this opportunity to spank the guys. WWE

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Wynne Echols.
        • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Wynne Echols.
        Anonymous
        Inactive

These guys are right. Even in NRA registered matches the Match Director has the option of allowing shooters to shoot from the bench. I myself have what is laughing ly referred to as a “cripple card” from the NRA that allows me to shoot laying on a cushion. I got arthritis in my upper back and I can’t raise my head up high enough to get behind the scope when prone. Go shoot sir. You don’t have any particular advantage from a bench. Most F-Class shooters prefer to shoot prone because they do better that way. Go shoot.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Please don’t feel guilty about shooting from the bench. It was built for people that has a physical issue from shooting in the prone position. The prone position is a very stable position and the scores show this! The reason we shoot these matches is to have fun, enjoy the fellowship and to improve our own shooting ability, certainly not to get rich! I for one has no problem with you shooting from the bench.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Mike, I agree with Steve. We want you to come shoot. We need all the participation we can get. We don’t want our get togethers to die off. Please reconsider and plan to shoot. I have never heard anyone complain and certainly will speak my piece if anyone does.

Mike Reekie
      Participant

I appreciate your comments. I have been working out in the gym for over two years, but I mostly just do treadmill and arm exercises. Also, I went on Atkins diet for two years, lost 55 lbs;but lately I have regained some by relaxing the diet a bit. I will concentrate on flexibility in the future. My reason for missing the May shoot has nothing to do with the above comments….I just have a conflict with that date. Sorry. I hope you have a great shoot with lots of folks there.

Tony Graham
      Participant

Wynne,
      How many sighters are allowed per frame and are sighters convertible?

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Tony, For the last prone match we allowed 7 sighters for the first relay, and 2 each for the next two relays. Did not seem to be a problem. Not sure what convertible means. We did have one or two shooters that had problems with their zero and as always, we tried to be lenient.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I must say I was the guilty party when it came to leniency on the sighters. I have only been doing this F-Class long enough to have shot 43 matches you would think I would have been a little better prepared. Thanks Wynne!!

Tony, No sighters are not convertible to score.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

I see what you mean by convertible now. Roland is right, we do not convert a sight in shot to a score. A shooter’s score sheet allows the scorer to keep up with sighters and I noticed that the shooters all turned to their scorer and made the scorer aware that the shooter was going to record score. Also, once the shooter starts their record fire, they cannot shoot anymore sighters until the beginning of their next relay.

Tony Graham
        Participant

“Convertible Sighters” are not an issue for me. I was just needing to know how many rounds to load for the match. I was also trying to get a little clarification on the sighters.

According to the NRA International Fullbore Prone Rifle Rules January 2013, paragraph 9.2 “Convertible Sighters – At the competitor’s option, he or she may elect to keep either the second sighter or the first and second sighter shots as record shots. If the competitor elects to take the first sighter, he or she must take the second sighter as a record shot. The competitor must make his or her intention clear to the scorer immediately after the sighters are fired and before any further record shots are fired. Coaching will not be allowed.”

I’ve shot F-Class where it was/was not allowed. But there again F-Class is not my game. If convertibles are not allowed and Wynne says they are not, then done deal. I just wanted Wynne to be aware of the rule. If this new chamber on my rifle does not shoot any better than it is now, it will not matter wither I take any sighters or not. About like Wynne’s 6mmBR.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Tony Graham.
          Wynne Echols
          Keymaster

Tony, I will be the first to admit that I am not up-to-snuff on the rules. Where can a guy find the rules? Sure seems like something that we can discuss Saturday.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Wynne Echols.
            Wynne Echols
            Keymaster

Tony, I just tried to read through most of the rules. I think that I interpret the convertible thing to say “if you like your first sighter shot, you could convert it to record and shoot the other shots in that relay” without any other sighter shots. What I do not think it says is that if we give you 7 sighter shots, you cannot choose a ‘X’ out of the 7 sighters and convert it to a record shot. Somebody that knows for sure should enter this conversation. Thanks, WWE

Tony Graham
              Participant

Wynne,
              you are correct! The only NRA sanctioned F-Class matches I ever shot were at Bogue Chitto and Pascagoula. The last year I shot at each they started doing the Convertibles, they have been in the rule book since 2010. If my memory serves me right, I think we did 5 sighters on the first string of 20 and 2 for the second two strings of 20. No you cannot just choose an X out of your the sighters. The way the rule reads (and Roland, Mr. F-Class can clarify) You can take sighter 1 & 2 or sighter 2. During the second string where only two are allowed, you can take the 1st and 2nd sighter or you can take only the 2nd. If Reese Bottom gives 7 sighters on the first round it would not be an issue. Shooter tells the Scorer when to start recording. If seven sighters are taken and the shooter wants to convert, he can have number 7 or 6 & 7. But there again you cannot chose amongst all of the sighters, just the last or the last two.
              Tony
              Baron Graham IBS 2010

Anonymous
      Inactive

I forgot to ask. What is the course of fire?
      15 shot strings or 20?

Thanks in advance

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Jim, plans are to shoot 3 X 20. That could change a little if we have more shooters than usual. Have not had any problems so far, but our thinking is that if we exceed 30 shooters, we might have to alter things a little. We only have 5 targets but like I said it has not been a problem so far.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Tony, You can lose the Mr. F Class thing…

Converting sighters Hummmmm. Tony since you sent me a Private Message asking me to comment I will. There is no ” NRA International Fullbore Prone Rifle Rules” as far as I have ever heard of. There are the NRA Highpower Rules, but the NRA has nothing at all to do with International Shooting that is done under a different sanctioning body altogether. The rule covering Sighters and Converting them comes from NRA Highpower Prone or Sling shooting. The rule was put there as a test of Marksmanship and a shooter knowing were his Cold Bore Shot and his Second Shot were actually going to go. It was orginally intended for matchs that allowed only 2 sighter shots. It later became a matter that was up to the match director of any match to use or not to use no matter the number of sighters allowed. When used in a match that allows more than two sighters it is something of a silly thing really.

Lets use the Reese Bottoms shoot as an example. Wynne and Britt have chosen the number of sighter for the first relay at seven (7) that is not a law, you don’t have to take 7 sighters, you just can’t take more than 7, as a matter of fact any shooter at there choosing can take no sighters of that is what the want to do. You also can declare that you are going for score at anytime in that sighter shot window of 7. The way it works in Highpower Rules is after you shoot both of your 1st two sighters you can say you will convert #1 to record, if you take #1 you must then also take #2 you do not have an option. If you decide to take only #2 as a record shot that simply means that all of the rest of your shots are for record and you have just shot your first record shot, and your last sighter shot.

In any match even those with unlimited sighters you can go for score at any time. You must declare you are doing that “BEFORE” the shot though.

So in your post were you say ” If seven sighters are taken and the shooter wants to convert, he can have number 7 or 6 & 7.”

That statement is not correct. You can start your record string on #6 if you want to, but you must first declare you are going for score before you fire the shot. The only two you get to fire and then decide is #1 and #2.

Roland

Tony Graham
        Participant

Roland,
        As I’ve said before F-Class is not my game of choice. You having shot “43” F-class matches have considerably more of an understanding of the NRA rules than I. Which is why I asked you expound on your previous answer of “No”! I shoot International 1,000 yard Benchrest. Here is you a link to the NRA INTERNATIONAL FULLBORE PRONE RIFLE RULES http://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/Fullbore/fb-book.pdf
        I know from talking to Steve Gilley at the last Reesebottom match that Pascagoula is doing convertible sighters in F-Class. I personally don’t care one way or the other. We can shoot blind record, which is what I am use to. I just wanted it out on the table before the match starts. It is my understanding that when you take the convertible sighters you shoot them first then can call them record after the fact hence “Convertible”.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Got a question. Actually for my wife.
      Are there, uh, facilities?
      Thanks

Doug Pugh
      Participant

I haven’t made a match since Feb. so I’m itching to shoot. Can’t wait to lay in the dirt and send a few down range. Good luck to everyone that shows up to burn powder.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Doug Pugh.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.