A Saturday Look-Back

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room A Saturday Look-Back

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Does anyone care to share their thoughts about their Saturday experience? We are always looking for ways to improve the matches at Reese Bottom and with honest feedback we can accomplice things. I thought that we got off to a slow start. Are we too pushy, or do you need to be prodded along. Then we left the pit crew in the pits longer and it seemed to speed things up. Do you mind staying in the pits a little longer or would you rather swap more often? As far as pulling and scoring the targets in a timely manner, did anyone determine a surefire way to determine when your target was shot to know that it was your target and trigger the spotting and scoring sequence? I have shot a few places where the targets were a little further apart and you could tell when your bullet came over your head, but because things at Reese Bottom are so close together, this is quite difficult. I noticed that the target backers were a little high and the higher hits were hard to reach, but that can be corrected. If the target were a foot lower, the hits might be easier to see. From the looks of these scores, the spotter disk was hiding a lot of your hits.

It would tickle my heart if everyone that shot Saturday would comment on this. Some of you have ideas that could be of help to us and would be greatly appreciated. The chat forum needs new participation and input. I am about ready to throw in the towel for lack of interest. When I dreamed up this idea, I never would have believed that a group of reloaders, shooters, friends or foe, would come spend a wonderful day at Reese Bottom competing and go home and not make a positive or negative comment about their experience while at Reese Bottom or even ask a question about something they saw or heard. If you look at the last few topics, the forum has become a one dog and pony show and this dog don’t like ponies. Congrats to the winners, WWE

Doug Pugh
      Participant

Mr. Wynne I think we may be on to something with the way the match was run in the later relays with staying the pits for 2 relays. My thought is to try this same format next time except maybe stay in the Pitts for 2 relays at the beginning of the match and then rotate for the last relay kind of the same as this match just do it in reverse. I think that may help the single target move along since it will be the last round. I personally don’t mind pulling 2 relays at a time I enjoy working the pits. As for as a way of knowing when your target is shot I use a little pressure with my hand on the 2×4 and I never look up at the target. I can feel the hits better than I can see them looking up at the target all day. Maybe some of the other shooters will voice their thoughts on this as well.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Doug, thanks for the suggestions. Question, were you putting pressure on the 2X4 or just touching? When the bullet hits, is the feel faint or very noticeable? Thanks for your willingness to always help. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Enjoyed the competition Sat. Thanks to you and Britt for all you do getting ready for such a match. I shot my career best score and was well pleased. Not that it matters but I had 34-x instead of the posted 31. The best that I have done prior to this was a 592-26X at Pascogoula. I have been stuck in the high 580’s for a while now and vowed to try some different techniques this year. Time will tell if Sat. Was a fluke or or if I’m finally breaking out of the masters class! I plan on going to the long range regional at Blakley on April 11th and 12th. Hopefully someone that shoots at Reese Bottom will come and show the Georgia boys that we can shoot too!!

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Steve, congrats on the new personal best. Great shooting. As far as the scoring error, not sure how it happened but I do apologize. I will say that if a shooter’s relay sheet is added before it is turned in, we do not double check. I would hope that both the scorer and shooter double check before turning the sheet in. If this was an entry error then I am sorry. Great shooting, WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Doug, I’m with you. I had rather do the double pit duty early in the day before we get fatigued. The new backers worked well but need lowering a little for those of us that are vertically challenged! Most matches where 3 relays are shot normally takes till about 3pm to finish. Not sure how to shave much time off this without running only 2 relays. I don’t think shooting 3-15 shot relays will help much with time!

Bob Relinski
      Participant

Mr Wynne don’t think anyone was pushy, each range and match does thing’s a little bit different and once folk’s figured out what was needed it moved smoother. With 5 target’s and 20+ shooter’s at a match anytime before 3 to finish is tuff, changing to 15 shots or staying in the pits twice will shave some minutes but not hrs. Think what happened Saturday was we figured it out and when you asked to pick up the pace thing’s went from a shuffle to a trot. If the picture I attached makes it threw I will explain it.

Attachments:
        Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Bob, thanks for coming to Reese Bottom and we hope to see you soon. The photo made it so please go to explaining. The site does not allow large mb photos to upload, you made it, but just keep in mind that some photos taken with SLR cameras need to be resized. Thanks for your input. WWE

Bob Relinski
      Participant

This was my target from Blakley last month. 5 shooters each on 6 target’s 3×20 done in just under 3 hrs. and the first relay took 1 hr for us to figure out why all these young guy’s kept staring at there smart phone’s. No target’s were ever pulled, no one went to pit’s, only shoot and wait for the hit to show on a monitor you had next to you. Amazing how long it takes to reach 1000 yards. Scores are on the right, speed it went threw target above that all targets on the bottom. Don’t know what they cost but bet in a year or so they will have a version the average guy can take to the range like the Magneto speed chrono.

Doug Pugh
      Participant

I was putting a little pressure against the 2×4 and the best I can explain it feels like you pulse when the bullets passes through the target. It is just a light tick but you can definitely feel it when it happens you just have to pay attention.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I could feel it really good this time. I don’t know if the thicker backer made it easier to feel, but I wasn’t able to feel it before. It sure helps your neck, not to have to look up all the time.

Anonymous
      Inactive

first off Saturday was the first time For me. I have never done anything like that. that was a lot of fun.I would like to thank WYNNE,BRITT and DAN For taking their time and helping me. but the good news is I’know where I will be every third Saturday of the month from now on.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Brett, good to hear from you and so glad that you found Reese Bottom. Either you are fudging on ‘the first time’ or you are a very fast learner. Being your first time, how did you fair with that much shooting? I was standing behind all of the shooters and I sensed that several, including myself, fatigued down the stretch. Hope to see you soon. WWE

Anonymous
        Inactive

Brett, you shot really,really, good Saturday. I’ve told many people that this is the most addictive thing I’ve ever done. Now if I can just learn to shoot…lol. It’s always fun at REESE BOTTOM..

Anonymous
      Inactive

I did not get fatigued so much as I felt like I was rushing myself instead of taking my time and building a good shooting position. and as far as fudging goes.until last month all I have ever shot at was 100 yards and 300 yards.

Sam Entrican
      Participant

I’d like to thank Wynne and Britt for putting together these matches. I think staying in the pits for multiple relays will help the matches. I can pull and score targets much faster by myself than I can with two people pulling, it’s just the way I learned how. With two people per target in the pits maybe they should rotate who pulls and scores after each new shooter. Won’t get fatigued as fast.
      On my first relay Saturday on shot #2 I chambered a bullet without a primer in it, a few kernels of powder got in the chamber and I couldn’t load a new round. Wynne and Britt both quickly helped me fix this problem, without their fast help my match would have been over with only one shot down range. As I turned out, I shot my first clean target from a sling Saturday . Thanks again Wynne and Britt. Sam

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.