6 dasher loads?????

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 6 dasher loads?????

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Allen Shively
      Participant

Hello from here in the beautiful mountains of West Virginia. We are still waiting on nicer weather!!!! Driving to school today it was 28!!!!!! now its up to about 40!!!! We have had no let up in the wind department either!!! Been trying to work out some loads for my new dasher. Been shooitng RE15, and Varget. From 33.0 to 34.0 grains with each. I have tried 107 sierras, 105 hybrids, and 105 EPS. Accuracy has been in the 2 to 3 inch hgroups at 600yds. I had a couple 1 to 2 inchers also, but overall more in the 2 to 3 inch range? All 5 shot groups. And some were shot in windy conditions. Was wondering what might be some other loads to try??? Our 1000 yd matches are starting in two weeks and I dont feel real confident that 2 to 3 inches at 600yds is good enough??? Shoot staight Allen

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Allen, good to hear from you. I will tell you like I told Mr. Gardner last week, ya’ll need to pack up and move south. He was saying how bad the wind had been blowing in PA. Here are my two cents on your post. For you long range shooters, the conditions are going to have as much or more effect than the load and for us slow shooters that will always be a factor. You mention RL15 and Varget. I was looking on Accurate Shooter yesterday at the equipment list for the IBS 2015 600 yard nationals and the dasher was a very popular choice and probably 90% were shooting these two powders. Realize that 1 to 2 inches at 600 yards is 1/4 moa which will be difficult to improve on when you factor in the distance and condition. As for a load, I recently shot a dasher at 1000 yards at Swainsboro, GA. with norma brass, CCI 450 primers, 105 precision ballistic custom bullets jumped .015 and 32.8 grains of Varget. I was fortunate to get in a shoot off. When they brought the target back, group size 5 1/2 inches, score 29 which tells me by the group size that the rifle shoots but because of the score the shooter knows very little about conditions. Lastly, I have found that all powders are somewhat temperature sensitive, so any load work that you are doing at the above temperatures will have to be adjusted as the weather warms up. Hope that your weather improves and I am sure that ‘The West Virginia Boys’ will get things worked out. There are other dashers down this way so maybe some of them will join in. Please keep us informed with the results of your shooting. WWE

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Wynne Echols.
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Good to hear from you Allen. I don’t shoot a dasher but a 6Br and a 6.5×47. A powder that is often overlooked is Norma 203B. I have been shooting it for 2 years and prefer it over Varget. It is real close to RL 15 and some blogs say it’s the same powder in a different container! I have had good results with it. Powder Valley has it Sometimes!

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Allen,

Good to hear that things are moving towards Spring in WV. They are a little slow in the NE but I think we may hit 70 this weekend. I have been shooting H-4895 in the Dasher with the PB 105’s with I believe 32.4 gn and CCI450. I will check on the load when I get home but that load seems to work pretty well.

See you in Willamsport..

Dave

Allen Shively
      Participant

Dave, I also look forward to seinng you at the world open, should be lots of fun again!!!! If you get a chance I’d like to try that 4895 load, could you double check the charge for me?? Thanks Allen

Allen Shively
      Participant

Wynne, thanks for the info. I do remember seeing your shell box at the open, and yes you had a load for every temp.!!!! I’m gonna have to keep checking the loads I’m trying as our weather warms up. Last eveninbg we shot some more load testing at 600, and I had a pretty good test with 33.5 RE 15 and sierra 107’s. About 1 3/4 in ch 5 shots. Promising, tonight I’m gonna try a 10 shot groups. 2934 avg velocity, and sd of 3 !!!! I think it will do real well at 1000 with those numbers. Allen

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Allen, Mr. Gardner has mentioned that he adjust his loads .1 grain for each 10 degrees of change. The info above says that you are on to something good. I hesitate to compare loads because of all of the variables[barrel length, primers, neck tension, jam vs jump, etc] You are definitely close. I remember you and me talking at the world open about taking a good aim before shooting. Shooting these small bullets well at 1000 yards must have a constant condition so the faster shooter should shoot smaller groups more often.

I recently witnessed an eye opening experience on the effects of the condition on the point of impact. A friend was here and we were going to try to hit a 10″ pie plate at a range of one mile. We put up a 6′ high X 8′ wide target backer at daylight when there was no[zero] noticeable wind. I was behind a big tree close to the target as the first shots were fired and knew the bullet was close, but I thought high. It turns out the elevation determined by the calculator was spot on[76 moa up from a 200 yard zero] but the condition[no noticeable wind] was moving the bullet over 4 feet[off the backer] I say this to say that if nothing is moving the bullet, a noticeable wind will really move the point of impact. Shoot ’em faster to try to get ’em all in the same condition. Keep us up to date on your progress. WWE

Dave Burkart
      Participant

Allen,
      The H-4895 load is 32.3 gm behind a Precision Ballistic 105, I am working up a load for the Eazor bullets.

Dave

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.