6.5 x 47 Load Data

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 6.5 x 47 Load Data

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

What powder/bullet combo’s are working best for the 6.5 x 47 in the guns chambered by Britt’s reamer. Anybody running Varget behind 140 hybrids? I have been using H4350 but to get the velocity I want from the 140’s the case is too full. RL-15 and varget both are working good for me but was wondering if anyone was using other powders? I have read that R-17 is great in this round.

Al Barr
      Participant

Steve, when Varget was hard to get, I experimented with IMR4320, 4064, H4895 and the then new IMR4166. I don’t know if it would get get you to where you want to be velocity wise; but I have found that I can get much more H4350 in a case with long tube funnels and a “slow” pour. I think that mine are 10″ and 12″.

FWIW, the 4166 has the magic dust that allegedly makes it less temp sensitive, and has given good accuracy in the loads that I have tried it in.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Al. I’m trying to find a tune that will group well with and without the suppressor on. I know there will be an impact shift with the suppressor but I’m hoping to find a load that will group good with both. I may be expecting too much!

Al Barr
      Participant

Steve,
      I suspect that you can find that load at a lower node rather than a higher one. I really don’t know the mechanics behind it; except that it has been my experience. It should be noted that my work with suppressors is very dated and that current designs may not follow the same parameters.

Good luck, and let us know what you learn.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.