30" Barrel Reloading Data??????

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 30" Barrel Reloading Data??????

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Could someone tell me where I might find some load data for a 30″ barrel for a 308 Winchester?

Al Barr
      Participant

What are you gonna use it for?

Al it’s the rifle I shot in the last F-Class match when it heats up I am having heavy bolt lift with the last 4 or 5 rounds.Shooting Varget with 178 Hornady BTHP Match bullets I am thinking I may need to try maybe a powder with a faster burn rate at this time just trying to find some imfo so I don’t waste a lot of time and powder and bullets.

Al Barr
      Participant

Off the top of my head, I’d say back off on your powder charge a hair.

That said, I’m having good results with Sierra 175 gr. MK’s, 43 gr. of Varget, Lapua brass, federal GMM primers, and setting the bullets .018 off the lands. As always, ymmv.

A source of info on .308 target loads is AccurateShooter.com

Tony Graham
      Participant

Surrell,
      Barrel length should not have much bearing on powder charge. The will be determined by the Action/Tenon diameter. That will greatly affect the amount of pressure the case will take. If you are having a hard bolt lift, then it is too hot!

Tony Graham
      Participant

I’d say start w/ 42.2 grains of IMR 4064 and see what it looks like!

Tony IMR 4064 is what I was going to try I am going to try it this weekend.My barrel seems to be more dirty with the 30″ compared to the others using the Varget.
      Thanks

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.