1000 yards

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room 1000 yards

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      brett collins
      Participant

Who has been daydreaming about shooting 1000 yards. i know that i have a lot. but then again i think about shooting all the time.
      Who is ready for 1000 yards? or more importantly who is not sure. does someone have questions about their ballistics for 1000 yards? i think that the good shooters of reesebottom would be able to help anyone with anything.
      just trying to get some conversation going about it.

Jessie Smith
      Participant

I’m definitely ready.

Daryl White
      Participant

Bret, yea I’m interested but the last time attempted – ran out of scope and it’s mounted on a 20 moa base. I know my load is light for 1000 yards and the Sierra 168 grain BTHP is not a good candidate for this range. My 5R 308 and Nightforce scope was zeroed at 200 yards. Have since swapped 5R’s. And the rifle is currently zeroed at 100 yards. The farthest I’ve ever been successful was at Gabriel Creek – shooting a steel ram at 730 yards and a swinging target at 780 yards back in 2016?

brett collins
      Participant

daryl let me know what bullet you are using and the muzzle velocity i will calculate you’re 1000 yard data for you

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Well I’ve had two range days that I shot 1k at Reese Bottom and I was pleased with the results. Am I ready well I don’t really know. I don’t know what I can do To be more prepaid than shooting more 1k. I fully understand mr Wynne’s concerns and I’m good with what call he makes
      Jrs

Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

Well Brett I guess we wore the scale topic out so let’s see how we do with this one. I have shot a thousand yard match and it was very interesting. First thing I learned I didn’t have enough scope for a thousand, I ran out of moa. I did have a 20 moa rail, and shooting 168 gr bullets that was not suppose to make the trip without tumbling. But a hot load and 30″ barrel the velocity helped out. So what I’m saying you need to research what it takes to shoot a thousand and match your equipment. It’s a long way down there. I have made changes that I think will help me out now, so yep I’m ready. If some one has a problem with the 308, will be glad to give them some advice to maybe help. Lol, if they want it. Surrell?

brett collins
      Participant

kenneth i am no 308 guy but it’s my understanding that most people shooting a 308 at 1000 use the 185gr and heavier bullets the 200gr seems to be a favorite of most I’ve talk with but then again i am no 308 guy lol

Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

Brett I’m still learning like a rookie shooter. I learn each time I go to a match. I have found that shooting big heavy bullets seem to work for me. One reason is the higher BC but also found you can’t depend on the BC, you still have to your part. I shot 168’s at a thousand but at a higher muzzle velocity. The heavy bullets retain velocity down range and that seems to help. A 175 or 185 would be better for 1000 yd than 168.

scott parten
      Participant

I’m one of the newest and least experienced of the group and I’m ready to go back to 1,000. All my data says my ballistics are good but nothing helps me more than actually doing it. Yep, I’m ready.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.