West Virginia 1000yd state match this Saturday

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room West Virginia 1000yd state match this Saturday

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Allen Shively
      Participant

Will be going to the state 1000yd match this weekend. It is held at a range called Harry Jones memorial. Which is located close to Morgantown west viriginia. This range has had many records shot have been shot there. It is nestled between two steep gulleys, and you shoot slightly uphill. Usually there is now wind whatsoever!!!! hard to believe for 1000 yd shooting. I have shot there before, and to place well you must shoot around 3 to 5 inch light gun group, and 3 to 6 inch or so heavy gun group to even get a sniff for a shoot-off!!!! I am going to shoot my 300 wsm, and my 6.5-308. Will give a report next week. Good luck to all in your matches this weekend! Allen

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Allen, good luck and choot’ um small. Send us an update. Is there a website that we can go to? Sounds like West Virginia must be shooter friendly. I noticed in the IBS National Results that a shooter shot a 2.1″ five shot group at 1000 yards. I do that regularly at 400 yards. Oh well, leaves room for improvement. Good Luck, WWE

Allen Shively
      Participant

Wynne, Yes that range is shooter friendly. Your literally shooting up a 30ft wide gulley. Surrounded by trees. they did cut some timber there last summer, made it a little windy. But, overall usually pretty decent conditions, and actually this time of year might have to wait for the fog to clear before shooting. One match this spring I shot a 3.1 five shot group and did’nt win the relay!!! Dave was hoping to come down and spend the weekend with us, but had a friend get hurt and can’t make it. Will give report first of the week on the results. Allen

Allen Shively
      Participant

I am not happy to report on the West va state championship!!! I did poorly, finishing near the bottom of the results. But, in the 1000yd shooting we have all been there before. Some small groups , and good scores were shot. But, it was the first time that I’ve ever shot there that the wind just howled in the afternoon. Therefore some large groups and low scores were shot later in the day. The only bright spot for my shooting was that I did win a relay , 15 inch group!!!!!!, and shot pretty good in the shoot-off, losing by a point. But, as usual we had a good time, lots of good comraderie was had by all, and thats more important than the shooting results anyway. Well, theres always next year!! best of luck to all in their upcoming shooting. I’ve tried to attach some photos of the range looking up the hollow, and me with the winning relay target. Allen

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Allen, the fun is in the trying. Thanks for letting us hear from you . I would love to see the pictures. If you cannot reduce the file size, email them to me and I will get them posted. Are these results posted anywhere on the web? WWE

Allen Shively
      Participant

Wynne, yes they are on the IBS shootign site under results. Will email the pics to you. thanks Allen

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Alan, thanks for the pictures. I have re sized an will try to post. It is my understanding that these photos were taken at the West Virginia State Championship shot recently at Harry Jones. I will also post a link to the results. I see several familiar names listed in the results. Notably Alan, Mike Wilson{have shot with Mike several times}and both David Weaver[Meridian, Ms} and Robert McMichael{Waynesboro, Ms} who are both good customers over at Backwater Custom Rifles. Mr. McMichael is the current IBS leader for ‘long range’ Shooter of the Year and appears a lock to win the honor. As mentioned in another topic, be sure and look at the list of shooter’s stuff and see up other good shooters are using.

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/long_range/2015/Harry%20Jones/State/HJstate.php

Wynne Echols
          Keymaster

To explain the above photos. They were taken at the Harry Jones range in West Virginia. One is down the 1000 yard range. One is of the tables and the third is Alan Shively with his relay winning target. WWE

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.