Shooting Want-To-Be

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Shooting Want-To-Be

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I have been around hunting and shooting all of my life. I am very comfortable around firearms, but have never been to a shooting competition such as the one at Reese Bottom. What do I need to know and how would you suggest I attempt to get started? I am sure there are others out there like myself, what questions do you have?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well that sounds like a little Rifle shooting philosophy, I like talking philosophy so lets see were this one goes.

Wynne we actually know that you already have the answers to this question so I guess you are asking it in the third person or in a rhetorical way as a means of aiding the new shooter. I am sure there are many guys who would like to come and shoot, but just don’t have a clue as to how to get started. I mean for a lot of folks there are stumbling blocks in the way. They really want to do this but sure don’t want to be embarrassed by what they don’t know.

The Reese Bottoms shoot is unique in a lot of ways in the fact it is in reality just a bunch of good ole country boys getting together for a fun time shooting at stuff. There is no real pressure there. So what does a feller need to know and bring. He needs a rifle and load to shoot out to 600 yards, he also needs to have the desire to want to do this and be able to listen and ask questions and not let his damn ego get in the way.

There are plenty of people there who will be “MORE” than happy to answer those questions and guide him in the right direction, sometimes he may even get real lucky and get a correct answer every once in a while. Other than that he just needs to SHOW UP…

Roland

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Mr. Roland, your input is always very interesting and to the point. One thing you missed though is that I do not already know all the answers. While talking to a friend the other day about the website, we ended up talking about our shoot and he mentioned the fact that some people are very hesitant to just show up at events like this without some type of invitation or understanding. I to suggested that they could call me or any of you good shooters, just show up, and maybe even on the first visit simply observe and as you suggested, ask questions. I assured this person that there is a wealth of knowledge at Reese Bottom that the shooters are willing to share and also suggested that the ‘hunting rifle class’ would be a perfect way to get started. Everyone had to start somewhere.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I will say Addison and I had no clue about competition shooting when we got started and this was our 3rd shoot. Addison, who just turned 9, is doing exceptional in my book. All it took was talking to Wynne and Britt and getting the right equipment and some direction. Now, I can’t imagine having to miss a shoot. We look forward to seeing and talking to everyone, as much as the shoot. We have not met one person who was not willing to share their thought and ideas on shooting. This is a good bunch to hang out with, as well as a Great passed time for my son and I to have together, while making great memories. This is PURE CLEAN FUN. Come participate with us.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne, I think you are just being modest as to what you know and don’t know, that’s good though you are a modest kinda guy. As to the new shooter there is one thing about the bottom shoot that I personally like a lot. That is one shooter helping another, can not remember the last time someone wasn’t there insisting to help load or unload my truck. It wouldn’t matter I am sure if I wanted to do it myself they are going to help and that’s that tune. I have also seen Wynne and Britt both offer to let others shoot there rifles if they want to. Man what a great way to get “New” people involved. Last time I did that was, I made that offer to Dick Richards and he took my Dasher and won the match.

I remember meeting Dick the first time he came down. He was a guy who just wanted to get back into shooting after years away. He came down and watched that first day I believe. Look at him now, he has had not one but two match Rifles built and is up and shooting with anyone who wants to.

I sincerely hope that some new shooter will find this web-site, read a little about it and come over one Saturday and spend a big part of the day just having fun. The biggest thing any of us can do is let them know that they are welcome and we all want them to come and shoot.

Roland

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Mr. Roland, I think you are referring to Richard Allen. Not sure if you heard or not but, in your honor, Mr. Allen won the closest to the X pot last Saturday. WWE

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Wynne Echols.
      Ron Lewis
      Participant

New Shooter Advice:

I certainly will be the first one to say that I continue to learn something new at almost every match. I’m still having a lot of fun shooting and is pretty much the only hobby that I work to improve upon on an ongoing basis. I shot my first rifle match in Nov 1977 at the Police range below the dam at Lake Tuscaloosa. I remember it just like yesterday I was shooting an old Winchester Model 60. Managed to win a small trophy and a gift certificate for a Turkey from Bruno’s Supermarket. The guy with me, Forrest Wiggins won the match by a couple points shooting a Ruger 10-22.  We were the two youngest shooters at the match shooting against a host of veteran shooters. Most of the guys  laughed at us before the match because the match director had to call our mama’s to give us permissions to shoot the match, since we were under age 18. We had rifles that were not target grade. We were shooting our squirrel rifles, only choice we had. All we needed and we did not know an better. At that time I had never seen a target rifle certainly could not have bought one on my $1.65 per hour wage. They stopped laughing when Forrest and I both shot prefect scores in the first stage at 25 yards.

With that said: Here’s are some  important things a new shooter should consider.

1. Find someone more knowledgeable that you to teach you the basics ( A Mentor)

2. Ask questions and pay attention

3. Don’t take the match too seriously, don’t worry about the score or where you place. Your goal is to get better every match.

4. Practice every week if at all possible and keep your targets.

5. Always use wind flags when you are practicing

6. Practice on windy days

7. Buy a good scope with target turrets, don’t waste a penny on anything less that top quality optics

8. Get a good rifle rest and rear bag

9. Be patience, shooting is a developed skill, there is no such thing as a natural

10. When success arrives, and it will come to those who practice, remember to stay humble, give back a little to the sport and thank your match director for neglecting his shooting to make it possible for you to excel in your chosen sport.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.