New Builds for 2016 season

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room New Builds for 2016 season

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Allen Shively
      Participant

Was wondering what would be your “go to!!!” gun for 16 season? Mines gonna be the dasher, and almost have it completed. Chambered two barrels for it, a Krieger, and a Brux. Gonna run a .264 neck, and shoot EPS 106 Bullets. I got a Sightron SIII 10X50X60 to put on it. Going to spray the finish on the stock this weekend, car clear. Should be forming brass next week, if we get any good weather up here in the mountains of West VA. Allen

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wanting to build something else but can’t make up my mind. Been reading info on the 6×47 and like the fact that you don’t have to fire form the brass. With 105-108 grain bullets velocity can approach 3200 Fps. The Dasher is not that far behind that and is breaking records at both 600 and 1000! The 6×47 needs about 7 more grains of powder and has more case neck that the Dasher. It should be the better choice of the two! Welcome any thoughts on these two 6mm’s.

Ron Lewis
      Participant

Steve
      I’m building a 284 on my next build.

Looking forward to the upcoming match. Working on a long range .223 today

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Rule is: any discoveries made with .223 must be shared openly at Reese Bottom. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Allen, must be nice to be able to build a new rifle each year. Good luck with the dasher. I am sure that you will enjoy it at 1000 yards but, having two of the suckers, I cannot honestly recommend at 600 yards. The fire forming is time consuming and I see a lot of inconsistences in the formed cases. I am about done fire forming two sets of 50 cases, 50 lapua and 50 norma. The norma cases formed a full .020 shorter than the lapua. Both set of cases had 7 or 8 cases that formed .003 to .004 shorter than the other 40 something cases which leads me to believe that the stretch is not very consistent. I plan to volume test both sets to see if anything shows up. I have purchased 500 custom 115 gn. bullets that I am going to try to make shoot in the dasher with the 1 X 7 twist barrel. Good luck with the new build. Did you end up with a drop port? Keep us posted with what you find out. Tell your son and buddy hello from us southern boys. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good to hear from you Ron. Didn’t see you at many matches last year. Glad you are planning on being there for the first match. Good luck with the .223! Haven’t decided on which gun I will shoot yet. 6Br or 6.5×47. Both shoot better than the driver!

Anonymous
      Inactive

A .284 is hard to beat for a 7mm round. Excellent choice of bullets with high Bc’s and no fire forming of brass!

Brad Mitchell
      Participant

I got my 223 rebarrled and a tuner put on it. Also built a 308 on a Panda Fclass action for long range matches. Going to try and make it out the 20th and shoot with y’all but I might be moving that weekend

Allen Shively
      Participant

I ended up not doing the drop port, only becuase I did’nt want to not be able to change barrels and have to use a different action. Straight 284 shehane will be my next choice for 1000yds. The shooter of the year “Mississippi” Robert McMicheal used 4 barrels, traveled 30,000 miles and shot up and down the east coast all last summer to earn his title. He shot with us quite a bit last summer and I was really impressed with the high BC 284 bullets. As far as the inconsistent lengths I’ve been told that that is from not fireforming dasher brass, and people who use the hydro method then fire have alot more length problems???? Not sure will be only fireforming mine in the next week or so, if our weather improves. Cold about 18 degrees up here in the mountains today. As far as bullets I’m gonna first try EPS 106 grain low drag, and work from there. My close friend and long range hunting buddy is building a 7mm WSM and plans to use the new Berger 195 elite hunter hybrid bullet. BC of .755 !!!!! Should be good at a 1000yds also. Shoot straight Allen

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Wynne, Here a pic of my dasher ready to shoot. Caliber 6mm Dasher .264 neck. Remington action trued, squared, firing pin bushed, and hollands tactical handle welded on. Have 2 barrels for it ready to go. A krieger 1 in 8, and a brux 1 in 7.83. Stock was made by me and is a copy of John Hoovers master 1000 design… Fiddle back maple. with two coats of car clear applied. Could you upload this pic to the new build thread. Thanks Allen

Attachments:
        Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Allen, the photo file is very small and I cannot get it to blow up because it gets real blurry. Thanks for the info. WWE

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.