June 2017 Bench Rest Results

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room June 2017 Bench Rest Results

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Happy to be able to report a great day of shooting today from the benches at Reese Bottom. Sixteen good shooters enjoyed the good time and great shooting today. The format was 5 @ 200, 5 @ 300, 5 @ 400, and 5 @ 500 yards. Things were a little wet today, but everyone got to and from okay. Be sure and view the home, photo, and result pages for updates. Remember to click the results to enlarge. A special thanks to Doug and Dan and Lauren for scoring the targets and to Bryan for cooking lunch. It was good to see Al Barr back in action today. Hope to see many of you good shooters on the third Saturday of July and our family wishes all of you fathers a wonderful day tomorrow. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I would like to mention again how the Reese Bottom spreadsheet determines the Over All Winners. The shooters are divided into 3 divisions determined by front rest and caliber and the shooters in each division are judged by group size and score. Everyone is hoping for small groups and high scores. The spreadsheet gives a little more weight to the group size than to the high score so that we have only 1 over all winner. If two or more shooters end up tied for high score, the score with the smallest group avg. will be ranked higher unlike f-class that breaks ties by ‘X’ count. The shooter would like for their over all number to be low[1 + 1 = 2 = winner]

Now go to the results from today in the .308/.223 division and see that Surrell is 1st in group avg and 2nd in total score[1 + 2 = 3] and Mike is 2nd in group avg and 1st in total score[2 + 1 = 3] Although their results are equal the program breaks the tie by weighing the agg more than the score and crowns “Master” “Champion” “Sniper” the “Overall Winner” Congrats Surrell Reese Bottom will reward you two for being the example. Not really!!!

The intent of Reese Bottom is to reward the shooter that shoots small groups in the middle of the target. WWE

Al Barr
      Participant

Shooters,
      I appreciate the warm welcome back to Reese Bottom. I am really encouraged by the improvement in everyone’s shooting and very impressed with the equipment upgrades.

Reese Bottom shooters are competitors to be reckoned with anywhere that they shoot!

Al

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Al, it sure was good to see you back at Reese Bottom. I was interested to know if you found out anything with your scope. I guess with all the rain it is hard to get outside. I was also wondering if you had given any thought to the discussion we had about clicks vs moa and what your thoughts might be. Maybe other good shooters have questions also. For me, I like turning 8 clicks into 1. For instance, on a recent trip to Bar 3 shooting at 1000 yards, I had to dial up 29 moa form my 100 yard Reese Bottom zero. Now that would be a lot of clicks. That is roughly 3 revolutions of the elevation turret so I try to get her done before I get distracted. The zero stop is a great feature on the way back down and I would highly recommend to always remember after shooting a match to return both the elevation and windage turrets back to a known starting point. It has been my observation that good shooters always shoot better when nothing unexpected happens during a match. WWE ps: we wrote about this on the blog page.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Wynne Echols.
      Al Barr
      Participant

Wynne; I sincerely believe that I exercised my senior prerogative by turning the elevation and windage adjustments in the wrong direction at times and the correct direction when prompted by my spotters. I, alone, was responsible for my confusion. A classic example of the loose “nut” on the trigger.😜

MOA vs Clicks is a tough question and I’m of the opinion that each shooter should use the method which works for them. I really would enjoy hearing from all Reese Bottom shooters with their thoughts on this topic.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.