Holding vs. Dialing

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Holding vs. Dialing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Do you hold off or do you dial windage? Yesterday at Reese Bottom, the wind from the south was taking my 80 grain berger from 12 to 15 inches to the north. I dialed 2 moa of windage and seemed okay until the third target when things seems to change a little. After two nines I took a moa out and things got really weird. Talking to a good shooter later, he suggested that he keeps a very accurate windage zero and never dials. Makes sense, but I am going to have to build some confidence to allow me to put the crosshairs on the ‘7’ to hopefully hit the ‘X’. Someone help me, please. WWE

Larry Linneman
      Participant

i learned to dial for the prevailing conditions then hold off after that i have a zero but rarely gets set on it since i shoot at several places with very different conditions like shooting up at Talladega cmp and having to dial 45 clicks(.125 a click ) then hold 2 moa when the winds got gusty in contrast at my home range i keep it at zero since the wind is almost nill (trees on 3 sides). the 3rd relay gave me fits in the beginning just i was about to send it the wind would change on me.

all in all it was another great time with some good shooters and a great bunch of guys Corey could not stop talking about his experience even this morning when he came over to borrow my rcbs charge master to reload for next Saturdays match.

larry

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Glad to meet Corey. Seems like a great guy and good shooter. Would you mind sharing how you were determining your wind read yesterday at Reese Bottom? Good luck at your team match. WWE

Larry Linneman
      Participant

i watch the flags down at 500/600 and see if it was 1/4 value,1/2,3/4 when a see where it is mainly flying i set my zero for that during the sighter shots. then when it picked a little i would hold on the left or right side of the x ring depending on how i set it up. if it got really bad (like it did on my 3rd sting 9,8,9 for the first 3 shots) i hold on the 10 ring . i got into the habit just before i would send it i would glance at the flag to see if it changed.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I fired my first two sighters holding x-ring. The two were close together but high and right in 7 ring. I adjusted the scope for elevation and windage and held for wind based on the flags after that.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.