Help with Prone Shooting

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Help with Prone Shooting

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Looking back at last Saturday’s Mid-Range Prone match at Reese Bottom, one could tell that there was plenty of prone talent on the grounds. Being relatively new to this type of shooting(only 7 matches), I often feel that there is a lot that I do not yet understand. As I see it, a good shooter can read articles, watch video, ask questions, and observe other good shooters to try to learn on the go. I find myself often misunderstanding what I read or see and end up learning by mistakes. Am I just a slow learner or is learning to compete a slower than I would like process?

As I mentioned above, there was lots of talent at Reese Bottom on Saturday. Will many of you good shooters care to share an idea or two about what you feel helped you the most in becoming a good shooter.

I have a question from something I saw on Saturday. I noticed a hole that had been cut in a shooters mat. Was that for alignment or what?

If anyone has a question, ask it, I will guarantee an honest answer to the question. Another question, can good shooters not type? Thanks, WWE

Sam Entrican
      Participant

Wynne, when I shot fclass I noticed any movement on the mat was transmitted to the rear bag. The cutout was probably to eliminate this movement. I think Danny Biggs pioneered this. From personnel experience, I can say that every time I lay down on the living room floor and dry fire practice, I learn something. It’s cheaper than shooting at the range, and it’s a lot easier finding time.

Wynne Echols
        Keymaster

Sam, I wish you would explain a little more about dry firing in the living room. What exactly are you practicing? Do you actually dry fire? I read somewhere that dry firing was not good for the action. That could be an opinion thing. Thanks for sharing, WWE

Sam Entrican
      Participant

Wynne, If I was looking for advice for shooting FTR I would be picking the brain of Jade Delcambre. Best FTR shooter I know. He’s [Down South] on accurateshooter. Nice guy, I’m sure he would give you good advice.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wynne, Sam is correct about Danny Biggs pioneering these mats. I think you could even buy his mats at one time. I had all intentions of cutting out my mat but didn’t get around to it before the last match. Looking back I don’t think it could have benefitted me much, but it still seems reasonable that the rear back would be more stable on the ground or concrete under the mat! Mine will most likely have a hole in it before I go to Blakley!

Bob Relinski
      Participant

Wynne,
      Sam is correct the hole you mentioned in my tarp is to eliminate 1 more place the shooter can induce movement into the rifle. Every round loaded the same after tuning, every shot fired the same way, every shot should go in the same hole. So the more variable’s we can eliminate the less we can screw it up. Bet Steve is still trying to figure out the one that got away.
      Bob

Sam Entrican
      Participant

Wynne, sorry about the slow response but I’ve been out of town. Dry firing helped me find many flaws I had in my shooting technique. Trigger control, bolt manipulation, consistency from shot to shot. In the sling disiplines I think it absolutely esential to dry fire practice. Building a good repeatable position, finding natural point of aim, seeing if the sight move during trigger pull, even finding the best place to position your ammo box while in position. Just like Bob said, consistency from shot to shot without disturbing the rifle. You want 20 shots from the same position, not 20 shots from 20 positions.

Sam Entrican
      Participant

I dry fire all of my centerfire rifles, not my rimfires.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.