February 2017 at Reese Bottom

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room February 2017 at Reese Bottom

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Well, after a two month layoff, the start of the 2017 shooting season at Reese Bottom is less than two weeks away. Please be advised that the February match will be a benchrest match shooting thirty shots for record, 5 and 10 @ 400 yards and 5 and 10 @ 500 yards. Please arrive around 8 am so that we can get everyone registered and ready to shoot by approx. 9 am. The only change in the way things will be done is that the entry fee will be $15, up from $10. $10 will be paid to the winners and $5 will go for supplies, etc. Small prizes for small group on each target for each division. The ‘Gunny Pot’ will be the 5 shot target at 500 yards for those interested. I will have drinks and a little food to eat. Who plans to attend? WWE

ps. Any of you deer hunters have any special deer sausage that you would be willing to cook for lunch. Would not take much.

Steve Gilley
      Participant

I plan to be there and will bring some last years sausage! Haven’t shot anything this year!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I plan to be there, I don’t have any sausage, have not killed a deer, maybe Steve will have enough of last years to go around. I hope Sarah and Ben bring the cookies.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Thank you, Steve Gilley. I usually cook a large package of Conecuh if that gives you some idea of how much. I will have bread, mustard, and ketchup. I also need three good shooters to bring their shooting stool. Regardless of what the weather does between now and then, Reese Bottom will be wet so plan to wear your rubber boots. I am starting to get ready. I hydoformed 70 pieces of dasher brass a couple of weeks ago and have shot it once this week. Ended up with 57 like pieces. One piece did not form properly and 12 pieces are about .005 shorter than the other’s trim length. I was going BR but instead put the dasher stuff in a new stock. I would post a picture but it might scare off some of you mechanical shooters. Deer hunters have thrown a kink in may shooting. Hope to see many of you on the 18th. Let’s make 2017 a good year of shooting. WWE

Steve Gilley
      Participant

Got to get ammo ready this week. Been really busy for last few weeks. On top of dog training 2 days a week, feeding cows, and repairing fences I bought a convenient store/gas station! Must be going crazy! Anyway I did have 3 wounded warriors down Friday shooting and they had a blast. We brought down a big dead oak with one shot that was heard 10 miles away! Lol.

Benjamin Mitchell
      Participant

I told the wife if she didnt make cookies she wasnt allowed to come! Rules are Rules

Anonymous
      Inactive

I hope it works out, lol

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Well, this is match week and I am getting several request for visits to Reese Bottom, better bring your ‘A’ game. I have heard and read of some familiar names at Reese Bottom that have shot other matches already, with much success. Have also received several inquiries from potential new shooters. Please help spread the word. Ben, if Sarah does not get the cookies made, she has my permission to leave your ‘bottt’ at home and come by herself. And you remember, she has done that before. WWE

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Wynne Echols.
      Attachments:
      Ron Williams
      Participant

I’m planning on coming this weekend to watch or shoot one. I’m having problems with my 308 loads.

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

Ron, good to hear from you and hope that you get to shoot Saturday. Tell us a little of what is going on with the .308. I bet someone on here has had the same problem. WWE

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

I am writing this Thursday night about 7.00 pm. The weather app is talking about possible rain Friday night and Saturday although the chance has seemed to decrease. We will plan to shoot unless it is raining Saturday morning. I plan to get up by 6:00 am Saturday morning so if there is any doubt and you would like to call, please do. My cell number is 334-654-2462. Hope to see many of you good shooters Saturday. WWE

Ron Williams
      Participant

I’m shooting one hole groups at 100 they open up to 4 or 5 moa at 200 I lost all my reloading data in my divorce so I’m starting over with what I can remember I’ve loaded some more with a few changes and going to try some 155 palma too. I’m at a loss.

Anonymous
      Inactive

What bullet are you shooting and what is the twist on your barrel?

Ron Williams
        Participant

168 smk it’s a factory rem 1/12 I think it’s always shot the 168 and 175 smk good even liked 175 VLDs

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey that’s the same twist that I shoot with 168 smk and 155 tmk and have not had any trouble unless the wind grabs them, have you changed up the bullet using the same weight to see if it a bad batch of bullets, if they are grouping at 100 like you say then they should fly on down range unless for some reason they are not stabilizing. Just what I think?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It’s been a pretty weather all week, I hope it holds off at least one more day for Reese Bottom

Wynne Echols
      Keymaster

We should be good to go. WWE

Anonymous
      Inactive

Good morning don’t think it’s hardly rained here.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.