Electronic or mechanical

Forums Reese Bottom Chat Room Electronic or mechanical

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

How many are still using mechanical beam scales? I bit the bullet and now using electronic but also I bought a vintage mechanical scale and it’s very sensitive to one kernel of Varget. The electronic is claimed to be accurate to 0.01 and is a lot faster. I’ve check them both against each other a they seem to be right together. I had a magnetic beam scale that seemed to stick or was hard to move and lost confidence in it. I’m ol fashioned I guess and like the vintage scale best, it’s just slow and rocks forever unless you stop gently stop it.

Richard Slaton
      Participant

I’m on my second beam scale this one (RCBS) I’ve used for over 30 years
      I bought one of the cheaper digital (Lyman I think) a few years back after I tried using it a couple time it got chucked and the beam Scale came back out. I probably need to up grade my scale but before I bought a digital I would have to try it out first or get good reviews from someone I knew. I’m all ears

Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

I have a few scales, one is a rcbs which I was relying on and it started sticking, I cleaned it several times and then it would start sticking again. You could weigh a charge lift the pan and put it back it would weigh something else. Done a little research and came up With an old redding scale with an oil reservoir and I’m amazed at how sensitive it is compared to the newer magnetic scale. I guess sometimes old is not such a bad thing, lol.

brett collins
      Participant

KENNETH save yourself time and headaches and get your self a FX120I

Richard Slaton
      Participant

Just my luck their of stock 🤪

brett collins
      Participant

RICHARD i am a big fan of the buy once and cry once club

Richard Slaton
      Participant

I’m a tight wad It just an’t in my DNA
      To spend any we’re close to $1400 for something to measure powder lol

brett collins
      Participant

i did not pay anywhere close to that if my memory is correct it was about $800

Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

That’s a lot of bullets and powder. I like to watch that beam move when I’m trickling powder into the pan.

scott parten
      Participant

I have an original OLHAUS beam scale that belonged to my grandfather that’s at least 40 years old that I trust. I bought a gem pro 250 but was not impressed. I found a used Sartorius GD503 off Ebay that I use now with a dandy electronic trickler that measures to the kernel.
      This is one of several things I changed over the last year and I believe it helped. I’m pretty confident of my load when I believe I’m only plus or minus 1 kernel of powder from case to case.

Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

I do believe having that confidence in your equipment helps your shooting.

Ron Williams
      Participant

Autotrickler is the only way to go.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Ron Williams.
      Kenneth Thomas
      Participant

The old scale is working, scores creeping back up.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.